Peachtree Nova 500 integrated volume issue when in HTB

I have a nova500.  I tried it with a vintage Phase Linear 2000 input the signal into the AUX/HTB input and held the button on the remote until it went green then used the volume on the phase linear with no problem.  worked fine as expected .  volume control by the phase pre and the peach sounded much like the vintage amp I have.

fast forward.. phase linear is sold. so I bought a yamaha R-9 local and I thought I would hook it up the same way and use the peach amp and the yamaha receiver as pre.

but soon as I fire up the peach the volume goes t o 5 led lights in blue and the volume is high but the volume on the yamaha does nothing.

tried this more than once .  some reason it does not work the same .  confused.  I am using the accessery out on the yamaha cause it doesnt have an actull pre but it has the jumpers for sending the signal out...

could this mean the yamaha signal out is high and not controlled by volume at all and causing the volume on the peach to be high from start?   I did something like this with my last new yamaha but I think its different with this old yamaha

gentlejax

this receiver was different I guess. its labeled "accesseries and not "preout"

Its been removed .  it had jumpers on it so I thought it was similar to the amp couplers on normal amps/integrateds

The send is for using an equalizer or any other type of outboard processor!