Peachtree Audio Nova125 & sensitive speakers

I wanted to inform any potential buyers of the Peachtree Audio Nova125 (Class D, 2x125W) its inherent incompatibility with high sensitive speakers. I learned this the hard way.

I own a pair of the excellent Klipsch Reference RF7 Mk.ii floorstanding speakers. They are horn loaded and have a very high sensivity (101db); you could practically run them on a clock radio. They used to be powered by a top-of-the-line Rotel pre+power combination. I sold this combo and bought the Nova125 instead because I wanted something simpler and/or more pleasing to the eye.

To my horror I noticed the Klipsch speakers produced a very loud hiss when connected to the beautiful Nova125. I had never heard this before with the Rotel combination. The hissing was clearly noticeable from 8 meter away (30 feet)! When the amp was switched on and nothing was playing, my living room was actually immersed in this horrible noise. The hissing was present and unaltered even when no source was connected and the volume knob was turned down to zero.

I contacted my dealer, who offered a new Nova125 and power conditioners. The hiss remained exactly the same.

I thus contacted Peachtree Audio directly. They simply stated that Class D amplifier tend to have a higher noise floor than typical Class A/B amplifier and that high sensitive speakers should be avoided in combination with an amp like the Nova125.

I am currently selling the Klipsch speakers and will buy the PSB Imagine T2 speakers, which are rated at 90db sensivity. I hope the hiss will not be present with these speakers.

All in all not a very pleasant experience.

I hope this will be helpful to anyone considering Peachtree Audio products (or any other Class D amp).
f_r_e

Showing 1 response by tls49

Probably a long shot, but have you tried the "tube" button on the remote to see if there is any change? This switches the tube buffer in and out.