Pc to DAC Configuration

Hello all,
Presently, my DAC is located next to my IMac Pc.From there I'm running 30'
inter connect cable to the preamp which is residing on the main audio rack.
My question is: Would it be sonically beneficial to move the DAC back to main rig , so I can use my high end audio cable and thus eliminate r f distortion
that's associated with such long runs?
My proposed configuration would be: IMac>12' USB>Bel Canto 24/96 USB Link>12'S/PDIF>DAC.
Will this configuration be better than my current set up?
Thanks all of you for your response.
Regards,
Rod
rodvujovicsr
Tvad - I'm using the dac in the Meridian G68, so that I can make use of the G68's bass management and EQ.

However, since robust software for bass management and EQ are now available for Mac, I've been thinking of buying a new dac along with a Mac mini, and keeping the G68 for movies only. I recently borrowed a Wyred DAC 2 from a friend, and I was impressed.

Bryon
It is possible to build your own USB cable and get 10m length to work. I have not tried it myself, but customers have. See:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Extend-yout-USB-using-UTP/step2/The-making-of-Part-1/

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Thanks for the responses.

After reading your posts on this matter , I decided to go with long USB cable. There are a couple of new cables on the market that might do the job- Wire World Starlight USB (7M) and Transparent performance USB.
If any of you have experience with these cables,please let me know.
Thanks again for your time.
Rod
I have the Starlight. I think it is a good cable, and has been very well reviewed by a number of users. I can't say that it made a big difference in my system -- but I have an async DAC, and the cable may not be as important as it is with other DACS. Also, my cable is fairly short, so you may notice a bigger difference among cables.

I'm sure the Transparent is very good, too. I might have gone that route, but frankly it was a lot easier to buy the Wireworld cable than to deal with a Transparent dealer, so I went with the Starlight.
Just a little update: My Mac Mini died (being repaired now), so I'm running a 15 ft. el-cheapo USB cable from Staples out to my laptop. It sounds very, very good. I'm using the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, which has async USB, so that's probably a factor, but at this point I'd definitely try the long USB cable if I were in your situation. If it doesn't sound great, consider getting one of the async converters discussed above.