PassLabs X250 X350 and X250.5

I own a PassLabs X250 amp and I am thinking about upgrading to the new X250.5 or the old X350. I have a pair of Spendor SP1/2e speakers,Classe Audio CP60 preamp, and a Meridian G08 CD player. I called PassLabs several times to ask them what they think I should buy. Everytime I called I got different answers. Yesterday someone at Pass told me the X250 sounds better then the X350 and very close to the sound of the X600. Another time they told me X350 sounds better then the X250. They told me another time that the X250 and X350 sound almost the same and if I did not need the extra power go with the X250. Should I just go with the new X250.5? I don't have a dealer near me to listen to the amps. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank You...
128x128ezaudio

Showing 2 responses by teajay

Ezaudio, in the first generation of X amps your 250 was the best sounding of the three two channel amps by far. I don't know if you talked to Peter or Kent at Pass, but when I did they both agreed that the new 350.5 was the new "sweet spot" in the two channel amps. The difference is not a minor one in the X-.5 series compared with the first generation but adds great musicality/warmth without losing the great dynamics/speed of your amp. The 350.5 replaced an Edge NL-10 in my system that was/is a great amp but could not do some of things the Pass Labs can. You could ,if your interested, look up my review I wrote for the GON that will give you more details then this short post. So, my opinion would be is that either the 250.5 or 350.5 would offer you a real upgrade compared with your terrific 250. I have not talked to anyone yet who has replaced their X amps with the new X-.5's amps that have not been wonderfully pleased with their new amp. Hope this helps.
Tdaudio, you are quite right, the 350.5 does offer about another 35 to 45 class A then the 250.5. What you are leaving out is that the first 5 to 8 watts in the 350.5 are single-ended class A, not just class A. For over nine years I powered my system with Aleph 1's untill I replaced them with an Edge NL-10. This was replaced by the Pass Labs X 350.5 because it gave me back the warmth/smoothness of my Aleph's along wonderful clarity, dynamics, and powerfull bass extentsion that the Alephs lacked. My hunch is, that you would love the 350.5 in your system.