PassLabs 350.8 versus Ayre MXR Twenty

I just purchased an ARC Ref 6 line stage and looking to up grade my amp. Currently have a VTL S200.

I have the opportunity to get a new PS 350.8 or wait until I have the funds for a used MXR Twenty.

Has anybody heard these two and been able to compare them? I understand they combine the best of SS with also a tube like quality.

Despite all the raves of the PS I'm a bit reluctant because of the size and weight because I have limited real estate, The Ayres I could handle myself and have room on my racks for them.

I know these are both fairly popular heavyweight players and at this point I want a lifer.

So do I get one or hold out a little while for the other.

Any of your opinions would be appreciated especially if you've heard the two.

Thanks very much.  

vindanpar
Maybe it's because you have speakers at the high end of the high end you heard the strain?
I have never had the opportunity to critically audition the Pass Labs 350.8 but did have an all night session with with the Ayre MXR-20, comparing to the PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, and VAC Phi 200s. After many hours of auditions, switching between Wilson Sophies, Quad ESL 988s and Vandersteen Quatros, Myself and fellow audiphile friend came to the same conclusion that on all speakers that we compared - the VAC, (especially running through the balanced outputs) had the largest deepest and most musical stage, while the Ayres had an impeccably clean, detailed, slightly dark character by comparison. The PrimaLuna fell someplace in the middle - but a bit short of both the Ayres and the VACs. While the Ayre MXR-20s are very, very impressive in terms of detail, imaging, dynamics and a dead silent background - I would not say their sound was particularly tube like. Got to agree with jmcgrogan2, the Ayres did sound incredible on the slightly warmer Vandies.
Jim
Not heard the mxr 20 in my system.  Never heard pass 350.8 but heard xs300.

i have the Boulder 2060 like cycles.  I understand what he means, turn up the volume and the Boulder expands the stage and moves objects towards you rather than just making everything a big amorphous stage. Kinda like you turning up the volume and it essentially remains the same.