Passive bi-amped Classe Amp5 vs 2300

Hi all,

Would a passive bi-amped Classe Sigma Amp5 be comparable in sound quality and power, to a Ca-2300 (or Ct-2300 for that matter) for stereo purposes?

My speakers are B&W Nautilus 802 r/l and Htm1 for the center and some Polk Audios for the surrounds. I already own an Amp2 and a CAV-180 that are both nice; but I thought the 500W 802s could use an amp upgrade. My pre/pro is a SSP-300 and I am happy with it.

Another -a little more expensive- option would be a Ca (or Ct) 5300.

All options are second hand apart from the Amp5.

I will appreciate any input, as I don't have the option of demoing anything!
kislali
Hi Kislali,

I own a Amp5 and a CA 5100.  IMO the Amp5 is a home theater amp only!  The CA 5100 is way better (musically speaking).  If you could swing a CA 2300 I think you would be very happy....even a CA 5200 or CA 5300 would be light years ahead of your Amp5 and Amp2.  I'm sure you know Classe and B&W mate extremely well together.  Keep your Amp5 for HT duties and upgrade to the CA series.
I couldn’t agree more with Ron17.  Amp5 is great for surrounds.  I have Sigma SSP with Amp5.  It is not a high end, audiophile caliber, stereo amp. The CA series are a much better option for L/R front.  Use the amp 5 for the rest.   Recently  I added a BAT VK-500 for mine and the improvement was stunning.  I have heard Ron17’s system and he uses a SimAudio Moon 870 for his LR stereo and amp 5 for rest.  His system is simply stunning.  We replaced the Moon with Amp5 and it really revealed just how far short it falls.  That being said, I feel no need to upgrade amp5 for center, and 4 surrounds (I run 7.1 channel system).  I have also heard CA series amps with high end B&W speakers and that combo sounded great.  It would also be compatible with amp5 as surrounds.   Hope this helps.   Good luck!
That's great feedback Ron17 and psnyder149, thanks a lot! Actually even my 15 year old CAV-180 (180Wpc) sounds better in some ways than the Amp2 -which is class D; although both are good. I heard more details with the Amp2, but then again it's bi-wired and a newer unit, so maybe that was it. I will try to get hold of a 2300 (CA or CT).

By the way, do you think the multichannel models (CA-5300 or CT-5300) are weaker for stereo? The only difference I can see from the outside is the bi-wireability of the former ones. They could be bi-amped too.
I would make my decision based on listening preferences.  It sounds like your system is a stereo/HT set-up (like mine).  If you listen 75% to 2 channel music and 25% HT I would opt for a CA or CT-2300 for the front L&R speakers and use the Amp5 for center and surrounds.  If you are more 50/50 stereo/HT I would go for a CA or CT-5300.  The 2300 will sound a little better for 2 channel stereo music and offer the ability to bi-wire but the  5300 is a really good amp for both (if space is an issue).  There is a CA-5300 and a CT-2300 on Agon right now for sell.
Yes I am watching them; unfortunately there aren't many such units around, but that's a good sign I guess!

Overall I watch movies too, but music is much more important to me, so I think I will go for the 2300. Thanks a lot for the advice, I do appreciate!