Pass XP30 preamp makes no difference (from dagogo) ? Wow! (active vs passive vs no preamp)

So I am considering a preamp upgrade. Right now have AGD HE9 into my Pass x350.8 and I do wonder if a better preamp would improve the sound further. Was considering a pass pre then came across this. Maybe i should consider just a passive balanced preamp for volume controls? Dac is Denafrips terminator.

https://www.dagogo.com/bricasti-design-model-1-usb-dac-review/
" so I proceeded to my ultimate test: direct comparison between having the Pass Labs XP-30 three-piece pre-amplification system in the equipment chain and taking it out of the chain. In my experience the Pass XP-30 is the most resolving preamp capable of delivering at very low levels – levels where you have to really be attentive to even hear the music in a dead quiet environment. Only when I got below 18dB did I feel like I was noticing a loss of detail, and even then I wasn’t quite sure. Since I never listen at such low volume levels, and I don’t know of anyone else who does, this was not a practical concern for me. Moreover, even at those very low levels I had to really listen to detect any loss in fidelity. Whatever Bricasti did to achieve it, the M1’s digital volume control is excellent. Note also that output gain is adjustable by setscrews from the back panel. "

smodtactical
@douglas_schroeder thanks for the clarification! That makes a lot of sense. I was shocked when a friend first showed me this and  clearly I misinterpreted it.
You can go the passive route but only with digital but you will lose dynamics if you go with a good full function preamp or preamp with phono stage you will be able to get the amplifier to sing at any volume level with any source but finding the right preamp can be a difficult one but it is worth the effort in  the long run.
@douglas_schroeder 

Yes.  That’s why I was using one of each as far as DACs go.  

But, I certainly appreciate I’m not the smartest audiophile in the room.

Just reporting what my ears heard.  Recognizing that I’m just a humble audio nerd.  Not a “professional reviewer”.

Though I have a dedicated, treated room and have owned quite a bit of gear since the 1980s...
The Terminator has a fairly high output impedance (I also have one). I would not recommend using a passive preamp since you'd have to use one with a fairly high impedance to avoid putting to much load on the DACs outputs. Then you're be driving your power amp with a very high impedance source.