Pass XA60.5's or Cary CAD 500 MB for Maggie 1.7?

I recently passed the 200 hour break-in of my new Maggie 1.7's using all sorts of different mid-fi SS amps and am now trying to decide which hi-end amps to pair with them.

My room is relatively small, 12' x 14' x 10', and I listen primarily to acoustic guitar, female vocals, jazz etc at what a friend refers to as polite listening levels, usually no more than 85db. I've read many threads here as regards the "best" amps for Maggies, and it's come down to a decision between these two.

I love the midrange purity of class "A" amps, but also crave deep (for Maggies), tight and controlled bass. Thus my choice of these 2 amps. I suppose an amp that combined the best of both would be ideal.

While my room is air-conditioned, I sometimes close the door to keep other household noises to a minimum, and wonder if either or both of these amps may put out too much heat, making the room uncomfortable. I live in Dallas where it routinely is 100+ degrees in the summer, but the air-conditioning keeps it a comfortable 75 degrees indoors.

As for sonics, I know Macdadtexas favors the Cary's, and Teajay the Pass. I'd especially be interested in the opinions of anyone who might have heard both of these amps with Maggie's. And certainly any opinions on either of these amps is welcome.

Thanks in advance for your input.
kenl

Showing 1 response by bill_k

Honest1 - just click on one of the links next to the cover image at the top of the page to download either the standard or high resolution versions. The standard version is fine to read the review, while the high res version provides much better images but in a significantly larger download.