Pass XA 25 versus Parasound A21+ - anyone compare?

Basically I'm looking at solid state amps to run my current Totem Rainmakers - with the possibility of upgrading the speakers to Joseph Audio Pulsars (used if I can find some) as well.

My listening room is modest sized - about 18' by 13" with 8' foot ceiling.

Rest of system: Naim cd 5 player, Hana EL cartridge on a vintage Pioneer 600 table, Classe DR 5 II preamp.  Amp to be replaced is original Adcom 555.

I'm thinking both could work well, with the Parasound providing more dynamics and the Pass more finesse.  Obviously the Pass is about an extra $1000, which is a factor given the modestly priced system.  Also no balanced option with the Pass - not sure that is important.

BTW no Pass or Joseph dealer in my area (Atlanta), though Parasound is available for a listen.

Thoughts?
bobbydd

Showing 12 responses by avanti1960

OP is asking about a21 "plus" not the outgoing a21. we would assume an improvement in the new model, which was recently rated Stereophile Class A. Also compared favorably to the Benchmark AHB2.
For such exclusive amps used Pass Labs are frequently available.
I have been enjoying a Parasound a21+ for two days now and it is a very nice sounding amplifier.  Driven from a tube preamp and driving Harbeth SHL5+ speakers.  
The sound is different than the original a21 which had its issues as a true audiophile amp.  
The new one is smooth, detailed, refined and seems to make everything sound excellent.   The Stereophile Class A rating is justified.   
@shahram

i did sell the steteo 100 . excellent amp but there were times i wanted a little more volume. the a21+ does that very well without losing much.
the stereo100 would have been perfect with higher efficiency speakers than my 86db harbeths.  
Just received a pass XA25 and have it running for a solid 24 hrs.
I will be comparing to my Parasound a21+ that has matured well in my system for several months.
So far the XA25 sounds grainy and edgy in the upper midrange and lower treble.
The a21+ is nothing but smooth.
I will give the XA25 a few weeks, it does have its moments but compared to the buzz on this amp it is a big disappointment early on.
FYI the overall tone of the XA25 is neutral, not lean.  Bass is excellent.  My issue is that it does not sound as refined in the upper midrange lower trebpe as i think it should, or as the a21+ does.
this is with my 86db 6 ohm Harbeths.  
If it smoothes out  as it burns in it will be a winner.  
@bobbydd Excellent  info, thanks.  
I thought it appropriate that I continue the thread as I have lived with an a21+ for the better part of a year and now have the Pass Labs XA25 to compare.  
So far the a21+ sounds much better in my system but the XA25 has only 20 hrs or so on it- however it has a lot of work to do to stay.  

Did you have similar slight edginess when yours was new?  
@voodoochillin    thanks, i am hopeful the same will happen or back it goes and i keep the parasound.  
@ddafoe 

i use my balanced cables from my preamp and use a nuutrik xlr to rca adaptor at the amp rca jacks.  works well.  

@gmdodd

KEF R11 would sound the best with McIntosh amplification. I have suggested this to others who had bad synergy with a variety of other amps including Parasound and they were quite pleased with the Mac.

The pass XA25 sounds different than their up range amps which tend to extend the treble more despite being class A.  To my ears the new KEF R series require an amplifier with ultra smooth top end.  The JC5 is probably better in that regard than the up range Pass.