Pass x250.8 vs Hegel h4se vs Ayre VX-R

Just looking for thoughts from anyone who's heard 2 or more of these for comparison sake.  For the past few years I've had Ayre amps in my system (altho just an AX-7e and AX-5) and have enjoyed them, but occasionally have felt like "there might be something more".  I prefer solid state.

I can prob go up to about 10k used.

The amps named have caught my attention.
joncourage

Showing 2 responses by joncourage

Great point.  Pass and Ayre are both US.  Definitely would hate to send something that heavy to EU for service.
Thanks for all the great feedback.  So many amazing sounding SS amp choices.

I ended up going with MX-R Twenty (and going seriously over-budget) for a few reasons:

-- I've had a couple of Ayre amps before and like the Ayre "house sound", so it was a known quantity

-- More important for the moment, the MX-R fit in the cabinet/space I have right now, and the Pass, Hegel etc are so much bigger I would have had a serious challenge with placement and possibly heat.

Eventually I may well still try those just for comparison sake.

I have the Ayre in my system since yesterday and they really do sound absolutely incredible.  Everything I liked about the AX-5 and AX-7e, but "more".  More punch, more speed, tighter, lower bass, and all the other nice sonic qualities Ayre brings to the table.  And they're a beautiful piece of equipment in a relatively small package comparatively.