Pass X 250 vs. Classe CA 301 The final decision

Ok, after reading extensive reviews and listening only in shops, as opposed to my own set up, I am almost ready to buy. I have 86 db metal dome speakers. Any last words?
jrud

Showing 2 responses by brulee

Hi Jrud, I do not mean any disrespect to anyone who think these two amps are not worthy in a high resolution system. They both do things very well. Both are transparent, clean, grainless and offer enough power for most speakers. IMO, they both fail in one very vital area. Neither can reproduce the small dynamic contrast that makes music involveing or will keep the toes tapping, the hand slapping the knee, or a feeling of bordeom that creeps in after a short period of time. Could be from so many years of using tube amps. I had a Pass x350 loaned to me for two weeks. I could tolerate for about 45 minutes before i quit listening and started thinking of things other than music. Classe sounded different but left me thinking of other things than the music. Both amps had this in common.
Tok20000's advice is the best advice anyone can give you.
I hope you find what fills your needs. Ya got a lot of options. Take advantage of them. I wish you the best in your search.
Hi Muralman 1, I respect your point of view. The Pass X350 I used was with only one pair of speakers. This could be one of those times where this combination was not a good match. I did point out some very fine qualities of both these amps. It just didn't deliver the life, energy, and the colors of different instruments offer. I also found it a bit dry with little of the dimentionality that my tube amps were capable of. I do admit that I am a tube snob. I guess I should not have made those statements of these fine SS amps by not using more than one pair of speakers. I was told that the Pass X350 was an excellent amp on the Coincident Total Eclipse. It just didn't do it for me.
Thanks for your decent response. You brought up some very good points. I will think a little longer before making what may seem to be blanket statements. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Once again i have gained a bit of an education from another Audiogon member.