Pass X 250.8 or Pass 30.8 question?

Help me understand what would be the better amp for my situation. I know the obvious differences, One is a low wattage class A amp. The other being basically the opposite.

My setup for one of these amps is : Martin Logan Montis speakers(91db). Source components- VPI scout and lossless files through a Mac Mini through a Cambridge Azur 851D DAC.

My room is pretty lively. I don't need a lot of volume to play music. I currently have a Parasound Halo Integrated. I would say that the volume never exceeds 40% of the volume knob. If your familiar with the Parasound Halo....The volume knob is usually between 9-10 o'clock.

I need some opinions....Am I better off with a lower wattage amp like the 30.8......or would huge power like the 250.8 ( 500/4ohms) serve me better even though my speakers are fairly easy to drive and my room isn't unusually big.

I don't pretend to be an expert in home audio...so if these are stupid questions I apologize in advance. However any and all insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Also- I would really appreciate any other Pass .8 series owners to chime in with their insight and opinions.

Thanks in advance,

krelldog

krelldog

Showing 1 response by tomcy6

I have some relevant experience. I own a pair of Summit Xs that I was driving with a Pass XA 30.8 and they sounded great, but due to the speaker’s specs I wanted to see what they would sound like with a muscle amp. So I bought a D’Agostino Classic Stereo amp (300 watts into 8 ohm, 600 into 4 ohm) and hooked it up.

The improvement was pretty significant. The sound suddenly had greater clarity and the music just held my attention to a much greater degree than with the XA 30.8.

The D’Agostino is not a Pass amp, so I can’t say that you would have the same experience with the Pass X series, but my advice is to go with an X.8 series amp. The MLs really do like the extra power and the doubling down.

Also check out this thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/my-long-list-of-amplifiers-and-my-personal-review-of-each

Whitecamaross has listened to many amps first through his ML Montis then he upgraded to ML 15As, and before he bought a pair of Pass Xs 150s, his favorites were first McIntosh tube amps then Pass X.8 series.