Pass X-250.5 or McIntosh MC402?

I have B&W N802 and for some time planning to buy X250.5 amp.
I heard others found better match with big Macs?! I also had good results with Mimetism Audio 15.2 model. Please advise...
srdan

Showing 1 response by roxy54

I have a long (35 year) history of using McIntosh amplifiers. Of course I have bought and borrowed a number of others in an effort to find something "better". I recently sold my McIntosh MC 300 and bought a used Pass Labs 250.0. I read so much about its full , natural organic sound etc. Between professional and consumer reviews, it really sounded like what I wanted. All that I can tell you is that in my system, the Mac was smoother, fuller, and simply sounded more like music to me. It is undoubtedly a superior amp, but I guess that it just proves once more that you need to listen before you buy. It isn't possible to know what sound a person is referencing in their mind when they describe a components sound in a relative way to another component. I also believe that part of my reaction is based on the fact that I have used McIntosh amps for so many years that they sound more correct to me. In any case, I plan on buying a MC 402. I know that I will love it. As a sidebar, I discovered that the Pass amp had an amazing synergy with the Nestorovic speakers in my second system.