Pass X-250.5 or McIntosh MC402?

I have B&W N802 and for some time planning to buy X250.5 amp.
I heard others found better match with big Macs?! I also had good results with Mimetism Audio 15.2 model. Please advise...
srdan

Showing 4 responses by brianmgrarcom

This could be a tough call Srdan as it could come down to preference, both are fine amps. I would suggest that if you heard a particular combination that you liked, Pass and B&W, I would suggest that you pursue that as you know that you liked it and that is what matters most.
Lots of varying thoughts and opinions here just to make it all the more confusing. A few comments...

Audphile1...you may be correct in your suggestions. I don't know if the N802 is easier to drive than the 802D, but I wasn't happy with my system when I had both the MC402 and 802D. I don't want to degrade the 802D but rather suggest that the 501's would have been much better with the 802D's, as others have stated as well; and also maybe my room wasn't the best for them.

Mmitch7711...why do you want to change? If you are pleased with your setup, don't fiddle with it.

Arbuckle...I am using a MC402 in my system and I certainly do not find it veiled or flat, far from either. I suppose it would be easy for me to assume the Pass is hyping the signal in regards to your statement, but I don't believe that; as I stated earlier, both are fine pieces.
Mmitch7711...Unfortunately it is easy in the hobby to get caught up in the chase or whatever one wants to call it. If you have to, pull away from the forums and magazines for awhile, it may curb that desire to change, especially if you are already happy. In my (humble) opinion, your 501's are wonderful amps, no need to change.

You have a very nice system; in looking at your room, I chuckle and wonder if you are married? One might not want to head for the upstairs in the dark!

Take your own advice, relax and enjoy (what you have put together)!!
Well said Mitch and I wish you the best! I've been there myself. The forums can be fun to partake in but at some point we must "get a hold of ourselves", I believe the hobby can be more enjoyable at that point.

Brian