Pass Then vs. Pass Now

Hi 'Goners. 

Long time lurker, first time poster hoping to receive some wisdom from the community. Thinking about an upgrade (aren't we all?) Currently powering Devore Gibbon 3xl with a Rogue Audio Sphinx v3 and am inclined to try out some class A solid state amplification. I was a long time happy owner of a little Adcom GFA535. (I bought it in college in '88 and just let go of it two years ago!) That got me interested in trying out another Pass design. I have been weighing a Threshold400A vs. an XA30.8

Anyone have experience with Devore Gibbons and either of those amps, or thoughts on whether the newer PASS is worth triple the going price of the vintage  piece?

Open to any other suggestions on where to go from here with the system as well. For discussion, I  live in an apartment and use it almost exclusively for vinyl. I am a musical omnivore. The front end is a Clearaudio Performance DC with Tracer tonearm and Hana SL running through a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2. If I upgrade the amp I plan to continue to use the tube pre in the Rogue Audio integrated, for now. 

Thank you in advance for your input. Your time is much appreciated.

Shawn

theschwartz

>>>gfys now??? You should run for office.

My observations are based on actually owning multiple products designed by Pass. Most of them I liked, but also most of them could have had better build quality inside.  

I have seen people like you too. Easily offended by any other perspective. So then the first response is a passive aggressive comment, followed by a vulgar shoot from the hip type remark. 

I don't have experience of the Gibbon but have experience of the O96 with Passlabs amps. The .8 series are superb power amps. As per a previous poster, I would certainly look at selling the Rogue in favour of an XP12 pre. That is a very nice sounding pre / power amplifier combination to drive highish sensitivity speakers.

There is something to be said of Nelson Pass as a person. He reminds me of the Grateful Dead, who allowed themselves to be recorded by anyone during their concerts. That is remarkable by any standard. In the same way, he shares his knowledge of audio design and actually encourages it at Amp Camp and such. 

When building his B1K preamp, which uses a DHT (SP1), you just can't ignore the great sound in spite of the fact that the SP1 tube is by no means the last statement in tubes. I have actually built other one designers' concept of this tube for a preamp, and guess what? Doesn't sound as good, period. I believe it is because Nelson uses matched transistors instead of an integrated circuit. Anyway, the beauty of kits is that you have more control over what you prefer. 

Maybe this thinking translates to consumer products as well?

Don't mean to derail the thread here, as I am interested in other peoples' experience with the big NP amps.

Agreed with @lucky_doggg7 - you unleash full potential when you pair a pass amp with a pass preamp. When I bought my XA30.8 I was driving it initially with the Rogue RP-5 (previously mated with ST100). Replacing the RP-5 with Pass XP-12 took my system to another level. 
Back when I had my X250.5 I used Audio Research LS-25 and Ref1 preamps with it. I recall it sounded really nice albeit having a slightly higher noise floor than the solid state combo I’m running now. 

@4krowme

Don’t mean to derail the thread here, as I am interested in other peoples’ experience with the big NP amps.

i have to say, reading your entries on this thread it seems you are doing just that

you have owned pass kits and really old pass stuff, you don’t have experience with modern pass/fw gear, you say you are interested in other’s experiences with big pass amps

given that, it would make sense that you should perhaps say less and read more? this thread and numerous other threads comparing modern pass amps exist on this forum. with many many happy users reporting and discussing their experiences... just seek and you will easily find...