Pass Labs XA30.8

All, 

Do you think Pass Labs XA30.8 has enough power to drive 86 dBL Dynaudio focus 380 speaker well? My room size is 23'x18'x8' and I sit about 8' away from the speakers. Usual loudness is about 50 to 67 dBL when measured with noise meter app using my phone.

Also, what sonic improvement will I hear going from Bryston 4B Cube to XA30.8? 

Thanks.  
128x128panerai557
Panerai,

We have to note  a point with Dupac's comments, the Bryston 4B3 does he mean the SST3 series,  is a very different amplifier than the newer cubed series. 

Personally after being a Bryston dealer for a few years we found the Bryston amplifiers when paired with a tube preamp was the magic ticket.

Personaly we would agree that the Pass should be an even better sounding amplifier than the Byston which still sound a bit cooler to our ears than some of the other really great solid state amplifiers.

We would also strongly recommend that you also consider a Coda .8 which is a steal for the money, power rating is 150 watts with the first 18 being Pure Class A. The Coda was compared to a set of the way more expensive Pass X60.8 and found to compete very favorably with them.

Coda is from Doug Dale who was the senior engineer of Threshold with Nelson Pass. Pass left to form Pass Labs, Dale left and founded Coda.

Coda is not as well known but has a cult following for their remakable sound quality and price which tends to be lower than Pass for a very comparable amplifier. 

The new .8 series uses a massive 4k transformer coupled with a brand new output device this amplifier is rather remarkable, fast, smooth, and powerful.

One of the world's best amplifiers and very affordable.

As per power 20 or 30 watts will be more than enough with even an inefficient loudspeaker, you are close to the speaker and don't play that loud 

Good luck on your search.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Dear Auditory,
Yes I mean the Bryston 4B Cubed (4B3). Bryston stopped using the SST naming convention after SST2 (squared).
Btw, just a tip: perhaps you ought to check your frequent posts for grammatical completeness and accuracy. It may help in your advertising campaign.

audiotroy2,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered tube, and I owned lower end hybrid tube integrated amplifier previously. With my listening lifestyle, I think SS suits better. This is why I am considering the Pass amp because I read that it sounds very much like tube but without losing lower end power and details.
Panerai,

A tube like solid state there are many amps which sound somewhat tube like, however, none of these sound like a true tube product.

The issue may be other parts of your chain, what are you using for your preamp, digital and cabling?

Is the idea of switching amplifiers to create a more melodious sound? Is your current setup not musical enough for you? 

Sometimes the better choice may be chaning your digital front end or going to a tube preamp or both.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Post removed