PASS LABS X250 Question

Hello, I am curious if anyone knows if the X250 Amp doubles its 8ohm rating when driven with a 4ohm loudspeaker. I don't see anything in the documentation that mentions this.

If it doesn't double it's output can anyone explain why this would be the case.

Thanks for any info you can provide
eniac26

Showing 1 response by eniac26

Hey Thanks to everyone for the information. It has been very interesting to read.

Based on what I have read here I feel pretty confident now that the Amp can most likely double it's 8ohm rating without much fuss. I may shoot Nelson Pass an email just out of further curiosity.

One thing that I found interesting about this Amp is how much cooler it runs when plugged into a dedicated Power Conditioner. This is something I recently noticed when switching from a Shared Power Conditioner configuration and the info posted here relating to Power Supply capabilities of the various Amps basically confirms what I have noticed on my own Amp.

The thing that I found most surprising about the temperature differences of the two configurations is that it wasn't like I was using a small Power Conditioner to begin with (it's a Shunyata V-Ray). My previous configuration also consisted of 1 x dedicated 20amp circuit, 10 ga Romex wiring to the breaker box and a full host of Shunyata power cords (20 amp Python from the wall to the V-Ray & 15amp Taipan to the Amp).

The new configuration includes an additional 20 amp Python and a Shunyata Hydra 6 on a second 20 amp circuit that only runs the Pass X250.

Temperature wise it's a huge difference going from almost not being able to touch the top of the Amp to a luke warm after a full nights listening session at an aggressive volume.

So it seems that it is a very hungry beast and is much happier with its own supply of juice. All in all, it definitely has plenty of headroom in my system even if it didn't double its 8ohm rating.

Thanks again for the info