Pass Labs X250.8 or MC452 ?

I have Aerial 10T Speakers, Arye Evolution CD Player, Audio Research LS 25 mk ll preamp, and an Audio Research VT 200 amplifier. I also have a HK AVR and Aerial Center channel and back speakers. 

I want to change out the VT200 amp because I want to be able to play my home theater system through the front Aerials speakers without having to always swap cables (between the VT200 and and HK AVR) depending on if I'm watching TV or listening to music. With a solid state amp I can run my TV signal from the HK AVR pre-out through the SS amp w/o worrying about burning out tubes on my amp while watching TV.

I'm have heard the Pass Labs X250.8 would be a good choice, but Stereo Exchange recommended I hear the Mc452.
Any recommendations as which amp will work better with what I have ?

Thanks,
Steve

pianosteve22

Showing 3 responses by adg101

All depends on what you like; the MAC and Pass are worlds apart. I have not heard the Pass X250.8 but I have the .5 and I own the original X250. I’ve heard the MC 452 and agree with rsf507, it doesn’t have the PRAT of the Pass. My X250 sounds great on my Aerial 7B’s to the point I’m in no hurry to change my amp and speaker combination anytime soon, but when I do it will likely be the .8 series and 7T’s.
I’ve never had the pleasure of listening to Sim or Moon Audio but I’ve always read very positive things on their gear. If you have the Moon locally give it a try. Another amp to look at is Modwright; with your current 10T’s you’ll need more power but if you end up with the 7T’s they are a much friendlier load and you’ll be fine with less power. Your 10T’s are like my 7B’s as they need 250 watts to really sing. I’ve had 100-200 watt amps that sounded really nice at the time but it wasn’t until I installed my current amp I realized my speakers were starving.

The Pass X250.8 and Modwright KWA 150 Signature amps are on my short list. I’ll probably upgrade to the 7T’s first as I’m not sure the Modwright will drive my 7B’s to their full potential.
pianosteve22, Your ARC LS 25MK II will work just fine with probably any of the amps mentioned above. I had a LS 25MK II at home I as demoing and used it on several amps including my Pass.