Pass Labs X1 or Krell Phantom II

Hello Guys,

I'm waiting for a Krell Evo 402e bought on the web classified from Spain .. it's on the way.
Now I own a Pass Labs X1 preamp and since I have reed Cast cables work very well between Krell units I found a Krell Phantom II preamp with 3 meter Nordost cast cable on another web classified... unfortunately black and not silver like the 402e.
Btw .. what do you think about a change .. does someone thinks it should be an upgrade? .. a step ahead? .. or the extra money wont' be a valid deal? 

Thanks in advance for your opinions and support

Ps: I searched and than bought the Krell Evo 402e to drive my loved Thiel CS 2.4

128x128curio
Hi,
I am currently looking for a preamp, would like to hear your opinion & advice between Pass Labs X1 and Krell Phantom II, and also CAST vs XLR.
Hello,

I used to have pass X1 preamp many years ago. It’s a very good unit, but I find it a bit on the warm/dark and lack a bit of detail.  It was used with Krell amps as well.  I am currently using krell 403E with krell evolution 707 processor/preamp. I think the Phantom preamp may share similar sound characteristic as the 707.  I used Audioquest Sky balance interconnect then switched to cast.  I find the cast has better details and dynamic.  
So I would recommend the 402E with Phantom preamp using cast cables.  I think this combination will get the most out of the krell units.
Rich
I had Krell FPB 600c and KPS 25sc and updated to Krell FPB 700cx, KCT and KPS 28c. For sure cast connection makes most audible difference between pre and power. Cd, much less so. So cast is given for a Krell amp combo.
What makes CAST more advantage than XLR?
Clarity, transparency, 3d holographic or bass?
Since you are using KCT, and someone offer me a pre-owned KCT, need your advice and thanks in advance.