Pass Labs Int-30a or Naim 282- 250 combo

I have finally decided to move from an all Tube set up to a solid state set up. I am currently using a Thor Pre-amp and Rogue m-150 mono blocks to drive my cremona auditors. Due to both changing tastes and lifestyle I am moving away from tubes.

After auditioning various brands my two favorites in my price range were the Pass Labs Int- 30a using a berkeley alpha dac or I am considering the Naim 282+ 250 with Hi-Cap using the Naim dac. While I had to hear them at two separate dealers, they both sold cremona auditors and had them hooked up with the sub.

I am not sure which direction to go and in some ways these could not be more opposite brands. I am looking for guidance and advice, yet I know that in some ways its got to be emotional and come from some gut instinct.

I am looking for electronics that will accurately play the music that is present without much color. I want to hear what is recorded. Yet at the same time I want to ensure an enjoyable experience.

With the Pass Labs audition I really liked its engaging feeling as well as the soundstage and the presentation. Yet with the Naim I liked how tight the bass control was and how well defined the music was. In some ways I enjoyed the Pass Labs more it was muscial, well controlled, and engaging, yet for some reason I keep on coming back to the Naim, not sure if its because I am supposed to like it or it really left an impression--which was tightness, rhythm, etc.

I am not sure which way to go. I would really appreciate some guidance from all of the experts on AudioGon (I am still relatively new).

jlaz

Showing 1 response by swanny76109

I replaced my Pass X1 pre with the XP10 and it is a wonderful, warm, musical preamp. Detailed yet smooth, and highly listenable at low volumes. Highly recommended. Have not heard Naim equipment. But I agree with the other posters--don't listen to us; you should go back for another listen if you aren't sure yet!! And don't stress, enjoy the ride. Good luck!