Pass labs Aleph 3, upgrade to X150

I have an Aleph 3 power amp fed by a conrad johnson Prem 17 pre, shanling CDT 100/ Origin Live Resolution and Illustrious Sources. My speakers are sensitive 95db Living Voice Avatars.
In theory and in practice, the speakers are amply driven by the 30 watt output of the Aleph 3 in my 20/20 foot listening room. It just so happens that an X150 is on E-bay at the moment and I'm tempted if the price is right.
Have any of you guys compared the Aleph and X series and these amps in particular, if so what can I expect? thanks
In addition, any comments on what "adequate" power amp output means for a given speaker? Many commentators talk of the extra grip and control really big amps give to a given speaker, but at the cost of speed?
david12

Showing 1 response by jameswei

The Aleph 3 is 30 watts per channel, pure class A operation. The X150 is 150 watts per channel, class A operation up to 32 watts, then class AB at higher levels.

I believe these amps will sound largely the same. The greatest difference may be in the low bass, where the X150 should be more authoritative -- tighter and stronger, especially when the volume is turned up. You may also hear a difference in the midrange, where the Aleph 3 might sound slightly more liquid and tube-like. Whether to change amps should depend on what kind of music you like and your personal preferences on presentation.