Pass Labs - 350.8 stereo vs. 260.8 monos

I have never owned Pass labs amps. However, someone as successful at designing/manufacturing Class A and AB amplification over the long haul as Nelson Pass has to be close to perfecting their craft. I prefer mono amps for the usual reasons but am not against a great-sounding stereo amp. I currently own big Class A mono amps as well as a Class AB stereo amp and based on my listening experience I believe there are sonic trade-offs that make both Class A and Class AB amplification attractive for different reasons.

I am curious about the sonic differences between the Pass X350.8 and X260.8 monos. I noticed with the exception of the obvious power differences, the two amplifiers (and all the amps in the P8 line) have similar specifications. A couple of differences in specifications that stand out to me between the 350.8 and the 260.8s are maximum current (35A vs. 28A) and the wattage at which the amplifiers leave Class A and transition to Class AB (18wpc for the 350.8 and 34wpc for the 260.8s). In this area, the big X600.8 monos seem to be the best of both worlds as they do not leave Class A until 100wpc! I just don’t need that much power.

Although I found a review of the X250.8 stereo amplifier, I cannot find anything on the X260.8 monos so I am hoping some of you have auditioned or own the 260.8s and/or 350.8 and can share your impressions and maybe comparisons to the P5 line or comparable amps by other manufacturers. Thanks for any insights.
mitch2

Showing 1 response by shannere

The Pass amps all share similar technologies but have slight differences in flavor.  As stated here many times before call Pass Labs they will be glad to discuss this and not pressure you into buying, extremely nice people and they also have exemplary service.