Pass Labs 150.8 and XP-20 versus PrimaLuna Dialogue Premier HP integrated

Hello all!

Considering moving from PL to Pass Labs 150.8 and XP 20. Thinking about moving to separates and Solid state. The PL sounds awesome but I think I want a bit more punch on the low end and overall fullness. 

Would love to to hear feedback. 

hambon

Showing 1 response by moto_man

Don’t sell the PL short.  It is a very well made amp, and is $3K vs. $10K for the Pass 250.8.  As for as being “one of the best amps at any price,”. OK, that is BS and another reason to take anything that Stereophile says with a grain of salt.  I have a PL Dialogue Premier HP and it was fantastic with my Focal Diablo Utopia III’s.  But no surprise, the Pass at over 3x the cost was a much better amp.  Plus, after replacing the Focal’s with Wilson Sabrina X’s, the Pass was a perfect combo, along with my ARC REF6.  I sent the Pass back to the factory for a tune-up and put the PL back in.  At lower volumes, the PL still sounds good, but my Wilson’s really need more power. You can hear the PL straining at higher volume, say 88db+ The PL is not a good amp for those speakers.  Another thing to keep in mind about the PL’s, and I never did this because I didn’t want 1 million tubes to have to deal with, but in monoblock mode, the PL’s put out 175 watts each, which would probably sound great for any purpose for $6K or so.  For me though, my ARC/Pass/Wilson combo is the perfect balance.  Pass Just does everything right and their customer service is flawless. It is in a different but much more expensive league. But at the price point where PL sits, it is a great amp.