Pass Amps Class A operation

I just started using a Pass Labs X150.0 power amp. Love it so far. I know that it operates in Class A mode up to a certain point - I think 10 or 15 watts. How does that translate into approximate volume level? Is 15 watts coming out of this amp (into Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers) generally enough to drown out all conversation in a 20 x 15 room? Or is 15 watts a volume level that is easily and typically surpassed, except when listening at midnight in an apartment with thin walls. In other words, I am trying to gauge how much of what I am listening to is Class A mode and to get a general sense of where the Class A/B transition point is. Is there a way to tell? The meter on the amp never seems to get more than approx 25% towards pegged (or move much at all for that matter). I also have read that this amp actually puts out much more than 150 watts (200-250?), even though 150 is the published rating. Is the Class A crossover similiarly conservatively rated, or is that a more precise number?
gipp

Showing 1 response by dpac996

silly question: if you can't "tell" by listening then why bother obsessing about when it "leaves" class A? It's not like your speakers are suddenly fed a distored signal the magnitude of which swamps out low level signals-- 15 watts rms (in any class of operation) in a 20x15 room with your speakers would be quite loud.
forget all the numbers nonsense: does the combination sound good to you? I bet it sounds excellent!