Pass Aleph P versions

Hi, how can I recognise the several 'releases' of Pass Aleph P ? If it has remote control, than is it sure a 1.7P or not ?
daniele_g

Showing 4 responses by danielk141

I had the "last generation" Aleph P. It was my Pass dealer's demo, until they got an X1.
It had the remote, and the knobs were silver, instead of matching the faceplate, like earlier Aleph Ps.
Daniele g,

I went from an Adcom GFP750 to the Aleph P.
The Aleph P was slighty better overall, and had a much better motorized volume control.
Then I moved on to an X1 with the full size power supply.
After a couple years I tried the XP-10, and now I have the XP-20.
If your price point is around $1500.00, I'd look for a Primare Pre 30 (fully balanced with a nice digital display volume control) - I have one in my second system. You can find these used for $1,000.00 - $1300.00.
Daniele g,

The Aleph is very simple & sounds clean. The differences I noticed when I went to the X1 were a bigger soundstage & noticeably better bass.
This is to be expected, since the X1 I had with the full sized power supply contained a circuit board populated with capacitors.
When you compare an X1 to the Aleph, you must decide if the price difference (or savings by getting the Aleph) is justified.
French_fries,

I guess my take on the Aleph P is:
It was a Class A rated piece when it came out.
For those into Pass gear, in the ensuing 10 or 12 years,
other Pass preamps have eclipsed it.