Parsound ZDAC kind of blowing my mind...

I was offered a nice deal, so I took a chance on this DAC, thinking it might be a good stop gap while saving up funds for something better. It replaced a Behringer DEQ2496 I had connected to my Mac Mini. (In my system, the Behringer sounded BAD, exhibiting all of the worst characteristics of digital sound). My files are AIFFs stored on an external drive, and I'm running Audirvana Free on the computer. Before going the computer-based route, I had a Sony 5400 that I really liked (I sold it to finance the computer and an iPad).

Anyway, it's only been a week or so, but I have to say I truly was not expecting the ZDAC to sound so good. I don't want to get all caught up in the typical audiophile subjective terminology, but this thing has dynamics, is clean and clear on top, full on the bottom, and truly allows me to just relax and settle into the music. And yes, I am hearing parts and details on (very) familiar recordings I never noticed before.

I am a bit intrigued to hear how a "high end" DAC might sound in comparison, but, honestly, as good as my system sounds now, I intend to live with this DAC for a long time. Nicely done, Parasound.
jonathan1257

Showing 4 responses by jonathan1257

Yes Teajay, your positive review was one of several that led me to try it. Thanks again.
I am definitely that guy who falls asleep if the system sounds good. Waking up always scares the crap out of me, though, and the system seems really loud, even when it's not. Weird.
The M1 also was on my short list, but I got a great deal on the ZDAC, so I went for it. I hope you enjoy your new toy. It really is amazing what can be accomplished sound-wise these days for not a whole lot of money.