parasound zDac owners - quick question

Hello,

Im demo'ing a zDac. It has a really obnoxious transformer hum. My 2 zamp v3's have the same hum, so Im afraid this is universal for z products :(

Do any other owners of these have the same experience? I tried it with and without a power conditioner, in different outlets, and with different power cables. I even powered it on in a different room away from other audio equipment to eliminate potential field effects. No help.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
lightspeed240

Showing 3 responses by lightspeed240

Thanks for the feedback.
So it seems its possible to get one that doesnt hum, but at least Im not the only one.
I dont have any dimmers in my house, nor do I typically have any video sources or displays powered up, except my PC. I may try unplugging that and see if there is anyway the PC power supply could cause this.
Again though, all my z's hum, and none of my non-z toroids do. But this zDac is the loudest. At least I cant hear it from my listening position.
Ill probably try to exchange it and see it the new one is any better. If not, Ill probably open it up.
Hello Courant,

Thanks for the input. Ive tried it totally isolated, in a power conditioner alone, in a separate room, on a different circuit on the breaker box than anything else. Same effect. I havent tried a different house; maybe I will. Again though, both of my zamp's hum, but none of my other toroid-powered devices hum.
Im probably going to exchange it and see if the new one does the same thing. If so, Ill have to decide if I can deal with it for the long term. It would be a shame to get rid of it after all this time.
Hi beewax
Thanks for the response. Im glad to hear that you have avoided the issue. I would agree that I probably have bad power. I have 2 zamp v3's, both of which hum (one isnt loud.) But I have 4 other amps with toroid transformers, and none of them hum at-all.
This zdac is the loudest, by far. Ive tried it in three different power conditioners, in different outlets, in different rooms...all the same result...even if its not connected to an amp or anything else.
Im thinking about taking it apart and see if it could be tightened or something applied to dampen it. Its pretty nuts. But I dont want to void the warranty.