Parasound JC1 vs Plinius sb301

There is a lot of great press for both brands, but it doesn't seem like anybody has compared these two models. Used these are about the same price, and they both put out heat and make the utility companies happy.

I've got a pair of XRT 28 speakers and they are rated to 1200, so power is welcomed for dynamic passages and to provide some depth. 

I listen to everything from Dave Matthews to Pantera to Andreas Vollenweider, so I appreciate good sound across the entire spectrum and not just great bass or highs. 

For those who have listened to them, I can't find much about their soundstage - are they more forward (row D - like Klipsch) or more recessed (like Levinson)?

I know there's a lot of other great amps but these are the two I'm focusing on.

Thoughts?

128x128koslekt1

Showing 1 response by georgehifi

John Curl’s Halo JC1’s mono’s all day every day, especially in high-bias mode, and especially when driving harder loads.
As the JC1’s are Bi-polar (BJT) output devices, which far out perform (when the going gets hard) the Mosfets which I believe Plinius use.

The XRT 28 are stated as 4ohms nominal, so you can bet your life that somewhere they’ll drop to 2ohms, and that’s without taking -phase angles into account. That’s when you want bi-polar (bjt) outputs on your amp, naturally the rest of the amp has to be good also which the JC1’s are definitely.

Cheers George