Parasound HCA-3500, Am I Crazy?

Hello to all,
I recently borrowed a friends Parasound HCA-3500 power amp just for the heck of it. [I was always curious how this amp sounded].
I unhooked my Parasound Halo JC-1's and hooked up the Parasound HCA-3500 in its place.
Much to my shock, there were some things that the 3500 seemed to do better than the JC-1's in my system:
The HCA-3500 actually sounded more transparent, open, and more extended on top than the JC-1's! This was especially true at lower volume levels.
The HCA-3500 also seemed to have a deeper soundstage, and a blacker background.
The JC-1's seemed superior in most other regards, however.
The JC-1's sounded smoother, cleaner, had slightly more body, more detail, and better bass control than the 3500.
The 3500 did sound a touch etched and slightly grainy, but it sure sounded damn clear, open, and transparent!
How could this be?
Anyone else out there experienced this?
Break-in is not an issue. My JC-1's have close to 1,800 hours on them.
I am just puzzled folks, thats all.
audio_girl
audio_girl

Showing 1 response by warnerwh

I've not compared the two but am on my second HCA 3500 after trying a Marsh A400s in between. On my VMPS Rm 40's which are extremely transparent I find the 3500 performs excellently from the bottom to the top. This in contrast to the Marsh A400s which is also a good amp and I think it was REG of Absolute Sound who claimed it to be as good as anything upto 20k. The Marsh did have some good qualities but overall I went back to the 3500. It seems to do everything right and with ease. My pre is an ARC LS 16. My room is dedicated LEDE with bass traps. If there's any serious shortcomings it doesn't get in the way of the music.