Parasound HCA-1200 II - What Is It?

I'm looking for a used amp in the $300-$500 range, that will power a pair of Polk LSi9s (4 ohms, 200wpc+ recommended). More or less down to Adcom GFA-555 vs. something from Parasound; leaning towards Parasound because of what I hear re: superior SQ. Particularly interested in HCA-1500A or Halo 23.

Anyway...I keep seeing a Parasound amp that's not listed on their site, not even under the Discontinued tab: HCA-1200 II. It looks like it's a John Curl design, and its wattage appears to be identical to the HCA-1500A (205wpc @ 8 ohms, 325wpc @ 4 ohms). So it looks like it's more or less the Parasound amp that I want - HCA-1500A - just with a different model name. It also sells for a little less than I would expect a 1500A to sell for.

Does anyone know what's up with the 1200 II? What is its design/release history? Is there some reason why it wouldn't be on the Parasound site? And if it's basically a HCA-1500, why didn't they just call it that? Is it a revision that maybe wasn't exactly an improvement? Why does it sell for $100-$200 less than one would expect an HCA-1500A (or even an HCA-1000A) to sell for?

A lot of questions, I know. Thanks for any replies.
bthogan

Showing 1 response by johnss

the 1200 mk2 is similar to the 1500. same power rating. The 1200 series was pre remote turn on, and pre new face plate change.

would think you can get the 1200 to sound pretty good. Its old enough now though, that a complete re-cap may be of benefit.