Parasound Halo A21 or Rotel RB-1090?

Hi,
I am looking for a power amp for a secondary system that I am setting up in my basement.
I have decided on two amps, either the Parasound Halo A21 or the Rotel RB-1090.
I know the 1090 has more power, but I am looking for the best overall sound between the two.
Has anyone ever owned both of these amps or compared them?
If so, what are the differences in their sound?
Which is overall superior sound-wise?
Please give me a detailed description of the differences between the two.
Thanks guys.
Angela
audio_girl

Showing 2 responses by zormi

I still own both.

Rotel RB-1090: In my experience somewhat more sober, more neutral sounding amp than Halo - nothing to add nothing to subtract... Powerfull to drive almost anything (according to Stereophile measurments, 380/700Wpc on 8/4 ohms, pumpimg not less than 2825W on 1 ohm..!!!). Two 1,2kVA transformers, 44000 microF filter capacitance per channel. True powerhouse...!!! Paired with Rotel RC-1090, drives Dynaudio Confidence C1 at the moment.

Parasound Halo A21: more euphonic amp, with somewhat "fat" mosfet-like mids and slightly longer "sustain" in highs. Perhaps a bit less density and compression throughout the soundstage. For a whisker, more musical amp, in my opinion... Tech: only one 1,2kVA transformer, 50000 microF filter capacitance per channel. Paired with primare PRE30 preamp, drives B&W 803S.

Two excellent power amps. Congratulations, whatever you choose!
Angela - frankly, if must, I would sell the Halo A21, perhaps because Parasound has another better model (JC-1) on the list, so Halo A21 isn't the Parasound best.

From the other side, in my ears Rotel RB-1090 remains Rotel's statement amp. I cannot live with their newer ICE powered hermafrodits... 500W in 10 kilos is simply not my cup of tea...

In my opinion both amps have approximately the same quality/compromise ratio - differences soundwise between these two amps may be welcomed when one combine elements in the chain... I would always mate the Rotel 1090's calm nature with somewhat "spicier" preamps, sources or speakers. On the other hand, Halo A21 may be better choice with somewhat laid-back preamps (like Primare PRE30 i own).