Parasound CD-1

I know this is a recent release but has anyone heard this yet?
It sounds like a poor mans (comparatively speaking: $14,000 vs. $4,500) Laufer Memory player. It reads until it's correct and not a pS sooner, playing from a memory buffer. It's Linux based Intel chip is devoted to music only. And its VCXO clock can go <1pS though it measures at <6pS. Femto clocks come in at 0.140pS so that's not too shabby for a CDP.

I've always wished for someone to combine the best of a CDP with a PC and maybe Parasound has pulled it off. Hopefully others will follow and prices should come down in a couple of years.

All the best,
Nonoise
128x128nonoise
I first must disclose that I have been a dealer for Parasound Products for about six years. I normally never comment on these threads because of my obvious bias as well as I'll be instantly chastised for being a shill.

In this case, I'm willing to take the abuse. I have always felt that Parasound provide some of the best value products on the market. Their price vs performance is outstanding. That being said, I have never considered them to be in the league of the "elite best" products on the market. My opinion has now changed at least for the Halo CD-1.

I had a customer that wanted a CD-1 very badly. I ordered one in with the intention of selling it to him and not keeping one in stock, mainly for the same reasons that were listed above. (Who would ever buy a very expensive CD player that only does redbook?).

My plans changed. After hearing the CD-1, I was so impressed that I decided to keep it. It is still in my demo room and I think it will be there for a while. My customer came over for the demo about a week after I received the first CD-1. It wasn’t really even broken in yet, but after 1 ½ songs on his demo CD he brought over, he said “Sold”.

I had the same experience as Calvinj. This is one of the best CD players or best CD player that I have ever heard. Sound is smooth, yet detailed, no digital glare and analog like with layers of music and big 3-D like sound stage with height and depth. Three years ago I switched from a CD player to streaming WAV files over of a hard drive to an expensive DAC. I had switched to streaming WAV because it out performed all of my CD players and as a bonus was very convenient. Because of the CD-1, I have taken all of my ripped CDs back out of storage and the CD-1 is now my source for my personal digital listening. I still have my streaming device in the system, but if I have a CD, that's what I'm listening to now.

I would not expect anyone to purchase a CD-1 without an audition first. All I’m saying is that this product is much better than you would ever expect and I think it can give almost any piece of digital equipment out there a solid run no matter what the price point. It’s that good, but don’t take my word (I’m a shill) go out and listen for yourself.
The plot thickens.
Time to check out my Powerball picks.
Thanks, Calvnj and Eand2000 for your thoughts and impressions.

Ever since I heard that MSB setup at the Newport Audio Show last year I knew that CDPs still had some legs. What I thought was streaming was a CD playing and it simply bettered all the streaming setups at the show (to my ears). It didn't take a song and a half to convince me, just the opening notes and the start of singing. Analog like is an understatement.

All the best,
Nonoise
I enjoyed reading the discussion on the Parasound CD-1in this blog especially that by Eandj2000. This CD player sounded interesting when I read about it in the Audio Advisor catalog. I would love to listen to one but there are no Parasound dealers anywhere near where I live, Las Vegas. I will have to drive to the LA area to check one out. I will be in the LA area in July.
I got the ayon cd2s today with a classe cp800 and clarus crimson cables with focal speakers. The ayon is now the best player I have ever heard. The parasound cd1 is still great but this ayon does not have any weaknesses. It is smooth. Great vocals. No digital glare. Very analogue sounding but open. Not tubey but clear. I am amazed. I am very happy with this player and it is now the new best player I have ever heard. Home run for ayon audio.
Hey CalvinJ - In April the Parasound was the best you ever heard and in May the Ayon is the best you ever heard. Are you really Douglas Schroeder under an assumed alias?