Parasound CD-1

I know this is a recent release but has anyone heard this yet?
It sounds like a poor mans (comparatively speaking: $14,000 vs. $4,500) Laufer Memory player. It reads until it's correct and not a pS sooner, playing from a memory buffer. It's Linux based Intel chip is devoted to music only. And its VCXO clock can go <1pS though it measures at <6pS. Femto clocks come in at 0.140pS so that's not too shabby for a CDP.

I've always wished for someone to combine the best of a CDP with a PC and maybe Parasound has pulled it off. Hopefully others will follow and prices should come down in a couple of years.

All the best,
Nonoise
128x128nonoise

Showing 1 response by dhl93449

I really do agree that Parasound makes equipment that is some the best for the money. I use JC1/2 amplification in my system. I also think the new trend to either memory type CD playback (like the new CD-1 or the older PSA PWT) or digital playback of bit perfect ripped CD files will smoke standard PCM type CD transports, unless you spend many thousands more.

My dissapointment with the CD-1 is the lack of a discrete class A output stage ergo the JC1, not an OP-amp driven psuedo discrete setup, esp for the price being asked.

I think if they put John Curl to work on a discrete analog output stage for this puppy, then they will have something.