Paradigm Persona series

I'm beginning to poke around and gather opinions and information about a "super speaker" to replace my aging Thiel 2.4s.  I like the idea of bass dsp room correction and I am a bit of a point source type imaging nut (thus the Thiels).  So among other choices I've been looking at the Paradigm Persona series specifically the powered 9H with room correction for the bass.  However I'm skeptical of the "lenses" i.e. pierced metal covers on the midrange and tweeter specifically because of Paradigm's claim that such screens "screen out" "out of phase" musical information.  The technology in the design seems superlative but I just can't get past the claim re out of phase information and the midrange and tweeter covers.  What could possibly be the science behind this claim?  It just seems like its putting a halloween moustache on the mona lisa given the fact that the company is generally a technology driven company.
pwhinson
Pwinson,

you should also look at cabling, and power conditioning what about room tuning any treatments? Can you post pictures of your setup?

What cables are you using? Are you using power cables? Are you using power conditioning? Vibration isolation can also make a huge improvment.

As we have said time and time before the Personas are very rewarding loudspeakers when used with the right stuff.

We have a client using the Persona 9H with the T+A HV series integrated amplifier and we did a comparison of his Steinway playing a piece vs the system reproducing the same piece, the system was very close to the sound of the the live piano.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Persona dealers

@jafant, there is a sense with regard to the "digital" sound I was experiencing that sounded like I was getting more of the reflected sound the microphones were picking up than the direct sound on orchestral works during quiet portions.  I don't know if that's part of the frequency response aberrations of this speaker (all speakers have them) or if its simply higher resolving than my Thiels which are quite (as you know) highly resolving themselves.  Right now I'm listening using a Woo Audio WA2 as a preamp and it really gets us 80% there in terms of bringing that midrange forward a bit and getting rid of that glare/excess of reflected sound (I'm not sure how else to describe it).  Its a great sound.  Unfortunately its not really practical for me to use the WA2 as a preamp because it has no remote and I'm also having to use single ended interconnects and I'm getting a tiny bit of hum...not sure if its a ground loop or not...I may trip to lift the ground on one or more components as an experiment.  I really think the system deserves a better preamp.  I could try rolling in a couple of NOS 12AX7s into the Aesthetix preamps to see if that would warm the Aesthetix gear up a bit (that would only cost me a couple hundred dollars).  The Aesthetix uses solid state rectification I believe, probably a high quality HEXFRED type circuit.  I'm also going to switch in a Prima Luna preamp and see if that equals or betters the WA2 (it should)...the Prima Luna has tube rectification and generally speaking I think tube rectification on a tube preamp sounds better than SS rectification based on what I'm experiencing now and in the past.
Just purchased an Accuphase E650 for my Personas....works very well....lots of power for the mids and tweeters, and the powered woofers take care of themselves....very smooth.
In the end, after two listening sessions, I was pretty sure that I would find the 3Fs fatiguing in long listening sessions.  What was intriguing was the way I could hear the wood and bow of the viola in one of my audition tracks.  But in my own listening the Harbeths were even more revealing, with a much less fatiguing sound, solid bass and a stunningly realistic sound of voice and small ensembles.  So Harbeths it is for me.

chacun à son goût