Paradigm ADP150's in a 7.1 system

I just recently purchased a mint pair of Paradigm 7SE MK3 speakers and am trying to find the "matching center and surrounds". According to Pardigm they are: CC300 and ADP150's. Can the Pardigm ADP150's(a dipole speaker)be used as either surrounds or back surrounds in a 7.1 system?
spankydog6011

Showing 2 responses by javachip

The choice of dipole/bipole/monopole for side and back surrounds should be guided by personal taste, room layout (including speaker placement in relation to listening position), and intended use (HT vs. music). Most surround processors are not designed around any particular type of speaker. My pre-pro manual doesn't discuss types of surround speakers (other than small vs. large) and I doubt that many other surround processor manuals discuss this topic either.

I only have one audio system. For movies I use 7.1 and for music I use 2.0 or 2.1. I currently don't do multichannel music. I have KEF dipole surrounds and Paradigm Titan monopole back surrounds. They sound fine.

You will probably be very satisfied with the ADP 150 as your surrounds and/or back surrounds. The only thing about dipoles is that your listening position needs to be within the dipole null space in order for the speakers to "disappear." The Polk website and other websites, as well as the dipole speaker operating instructions, have diagrams illustrating null space. If you can't place the dipoles correctly, then bipoles or monopoles might be better.
For high-resolution multichannel music, you are better off staying with the same speaker brand, and preferably within the same model series, for optimal "voice matching." This often means having the same drivers in all speakers. The surrounds do not need to have as much bass extension as the front mains, but they should have the same tweeters, midrange (or woofer if they are a 2-way design), and crossovers.

I do not currently listen to SACD/DVD-A music, but there seems to be a consensus favoring monopole surrounds for that application. The notion here is that monopoles will more precisely recreate the spatial imaging as the recording engineer intended you to hear it. But beware: if any one of your monopole surrounds is less than about 6 feet from the listening position, it may "stand out" as a sound source and fail to blend in with the other speakers.

Once again, let your ears and your listening room layout be your guides.