Paradigm 100 v.3 – B&W 804 dilemma… please help

I was almost set to buy Paradigm 100 v.3 after auditioning them (well I auditioned 60’s and just assumed that the 100s will be better) last week but auditioned some B&W 804’s speakers today and now I am CONFUSED!

The B&W 804’s sounded really good. Clear and smooth but was powered by an 80 watt amp whereas the Paradigms were powered by a 200 watt Sunfire amp. Thus, I need to ask for advice from you experts again. How good are the Paradigm 100 v.3 compared to B&W 804? Has anyone auditioned for these two speakers and which one did you end up getting… why? I read somewhere that the Paradigm 100 v.3 are as good as the high end B&W Nautilus line. Is this true?

Additional question… what system would be better for 70% movies 30% movies system
1) Paradigm 100’s and studio cc + 20 side surrounds + studio cc rear
2) B&W 804 fronts and nautilus HTM 2 center + B&W CM or 600 series bookshelf speakers for my surrounds and rear.

Finally… for people who are familiar with B&W. How big is the difference between 804 and CDM 9NT?

Thanks
doodleboytoyb266

Showing 2 responses by aball

By the way, "kickin phat bass" is good - especially when you can have all the rest as well. Arthur
I used to own B&W N804s - for two years. I liked them, they looked good, and they were as good as I could hope for the crazy deal I got on them. Then I came across the Paradigm 100.2 (i.e. v2) and was very impressed. I compared them to the 804s with the same (all McIntosh) system and kept the Paradigms. They had a more balanced sound to my ear, more coherent and the decay was outstanding. The soundstage expanded and cleared up with the 100.2. Their bass stomped the N804s very badly (perfect for bass-insensive movies too). I was amazed. I bought the 100.2 and have never looked back. Sold the 804s for the same price! Anyway, IMO, the Paradigms sound better. Your ear and system may make the outcome different however. I will be auditioning the 100.3 soon. Take care and good luck! Arthur