Pani ... New ART-9 up and running ...

The Cartridge arrived and I took it down to Studio City to Acoustic Image to have Eliot Midwood set it up properly. Eliot is the bomb when it comes to setting up the Well Tempered turn tables correctly.

http://www.acousticimage.com/

So, last night I had Mr. Golden Ears over to get his assessment as well. For a brand new cartridge that had zero hours on it ... all I can say is WOW! This is one naturally musical cartridge that doesn't break the bank. Its everything I liked about the OC9-mk III, but it goes far beyond the OC-9 in every respect.

In a previous post, I talked about the many mono records I own and how good the OC-9 was with the monos. Well, the ART-9 is on steroids. Just amazing on mono recordings.

At under $1100.00 from LP Tunes, its a bargain. The ART-9 surpasses all cartridges I've had in the system before. That would include Dynavectors, Benz, Grado Signatures and a Lyra Clavis that I dearly loved. In fact, its more musically correct than the Clavis. The Clavis was the champ at reproducing the piano correctly ... the ART-9 is equally as good in this area.

Sound stage, depth of image, left to right all there. Highs ... crystalline. Mids ... female and male voices are dead on. Transparency ... see through. Dynamics ... Wow! Low noise floor ... black. Mono records ... who needs stereo?

Your assessment that the ART-9 doesn't draw attention to itself is dead on. You just don't think about the cartridge at all. Not what its doing, or what its not doing ... its just beautiful music filling the room.

Thanks again Pani for the recommendation. I'll keep posting here as the cartridge continues to break in.
128x128oregonpapa
@avanti1960 I know that the ART-9 will sound more tonally saturated after some more breakin but still here are few things I would point out:

1. Comparing MM and MC, in many cases MM can sound richer and smoother in frequency response. Apart from the fact that MC carts can have a rising HF and such, the phono stage also plays an important role. Most phonostages sound more graceful and colorful with MM carts due to lesser gain stages. 

2. I have used the Lehmann blackcube SE. It is a very good phonostage for the price. The only area which I was not very excited was about tone colors. It sounded a bit grey. Otherwise it sets a very high benchmark for other phono stages under $1k. 

3. Dynavector has a bit of that rosy tint in its tones till one gets to the level of Tae katora rua.

All this is not be taken as an excuse for what the ART-9 sounds like but more like an fyi which you may use to understand the system balance. After all every system is designed around some associated components in the chain. When a new gear is introduced to that system and that too something of a higher degree of performance, it may need some extra level of involvement in terms of matching it to the rest of the system. I hope you the ART-9 allows to remain excited about it through this process
To get the best from MM cartridge we have to take care not only aboput phono Cable Capacitance, but also about Load Resistance. Try to load MM cartridge higher than standard 47k ohm, using Naked Foil Vishay 100k ohms audio resistors (from Texas Components). Most of the MM cartridges sounds much better at 100k ohm. This upgrade cost nothing (about $36 for Vishay resistors + soldering), but it will give you the best upgrade for the money you have ever tried for MM cartridges. Vintage MM cartridges are much better anyway. This is where they become competitive with most of the MCs imo. So i will second that JLTi phono stage (under $800 now) is the best for experiments with load resistors as you can simply soldeging them in RCA plugs and easily change (plug-in or plug-out) by going higher from 47k or even lower. Same with LOMC cartridges (end a bunch of R of different values) as the JLTi is a high gain stage designed to work with 0,02 mv MCs and higher.
@pani 
thanks for the info.  i have the black cube se ii, the next version from the se.  that said i would be interested in recommendations for another phono stage that would sound more colorful.  thank you.