Pairing problem with amp/speakers???

I have a pair of RBH 1266 speakers (4ohm), an Emotiva XPA amplifier ( 6 or 8 ohms), and a Pioneer VSX 52 receiver. When I increase the volume higher than -17 db the sound coming from the speakers fades then cuts out completely. I had a pair of RBH 1044's prior to the 1266's and did not have this problem. Could the problem be from the ohm incompatibility? If so, can anyone recommend an amp for my setup. I use the system mostly for listening to music. Thank you
cres98

Showing 1 response by zd542

"Thanks. Any advice on the amp (brand and output) that I should replace the XPA with? Any help in the right direction is appreciated. I have about $1500- $2000 to invest in a new amp. Thanks again."

If you want some good advice, it would be to stop right there. If I'm reading your OP correctly, it looks like you have a real problem. The sound shouldn't just break up and disappear just because you are running your amp a little hard. Something is either not hooked up properly or broken (or both). You need to figure out what the problem is before you buy anything. Check everything. Look all of your components and cables over really well. Plug your sources into different inputs on your preamp. Swap components out with others. Basically, do everything you can do to isolate the problem. Don't do anything until you figure out, for sure, what's wrong.

Anyway, thats my advice.