Pair of JL Audio F110-Good Subs???

Hello,

Im in the Market for a Very Good Subwoofer.
How does the JL Audio F110 10in subwoofer rate?
Im thinking about getting a pair of F110s.
The Subwoofer will be used for Music and Movies.
My room is 15Wx23Lx8H

Thanks
alpha3

Showing 2 responses by martykl

All of the JL subs are excellent performers - and their pricing reflects that. Bear in mind that, while there are tons of expensive high end products that are mediocre, the JLs actually -IMHO- largely justify their price tag.

I've seen test results that indicate that the SVS subs are about as good (for dual use music and HT) and much less expensive. They are bigger and the finish is not as nice as JL. Caveat: SVS recommendation based on word of mouth and tests only - not auditioning. OTOH, I've heard most of the JL line and came away impressed.

Importantly - if you take the time to optimize location, 2 mediocre subs will almost always produce much smoother response than a single great sub - generally better for music. The single sub may go deeper and reach higher clean SPLs, however - generally better for movies. Pick your poison. In this case, I'd personally go with 2 110s.

Good Luck

Marty
Just a comment on Bacardi's comment re: SVS subs w/EQ-1 being superior to JL. I'm sure that he's right. I also suspect that any half-decent sub mated to an EQ-1 (or Velodyne SMS-1) PEq unit will outperform a superior sub with no PEq - particularly for music. (As to HT performance, the JL and SVS subs both appear to be stellar performers. Again my opinion on the SVS must be qualified by my comments re: no first hand experience in my previous post.)The SMS or EQ-1 can be used with any sub, including the JL. Note that the EQ-1 requires a x-over unit ahead of it in the chain, as it was presumably designed for use with HT receivers or pre-pros. The SMS-1 includes a built in crossover but -IMHO- it kinda sucks, so you'd probably want a separate x-over for high pass anyway. I use an NHT x-2 for this purpose.

Good Luck.

Marty