PADIS vs Furutech fuses

I now have about 260 hours on my PADIS fuse and ready to some listening. The PADIS fuse appears to look exactly like the Furutech fuse. It has the same blue casing with the PF logo on one side. Actually, the only visible difference between the PADIS and Furutech is that the Furutech has “FURUTECH” printed on the opposite side. However, there are actually differences:

My very initial thoughts on the PADIS fuse (in the first few hours) was that the PADIS seemed somewhat dryer sounding than the Furutech. The PADIS did not have the typical “cold / wet /chimey” tones that fresh rhodium plated Furutech components generally have (I’ve tested Furutech rhodium fuses, power cord connectors, interconnect – they all initially contribute this cold/chime character).

I have often stated that Furutech rhodium is painful to burn in. I have burned in many Furutech fuses and it goes through several painful areas. There are days in Furutech rhodium burn-in where I would sit down to listen and the sound would just be so bright / harsh / hard-edged that I said “I can’t listen to this”. At that point, I would just walk away and let it continue to burn in. With the PADIS fuses, it never got that painful. I could hear the burn-in process changes, but it was always listenable. At the 180-200 hour mark, the PADIS did get very bright/hard-edged, but it was still somewhat listenable (I did not have to walk away). At 220 hours it was fully resolved.

Now, for the comparison. I will say that the PADIS is an excellent fuse. For the money, you really cannot beat it, unless you need a warm signature (in which case you need an Isoclean fuse). Both the PADIS and Furutech share the same essential sonic signature. However, there is definitely a difference. The PADIS sounds very good – do not get me wrong, it is an excellent fuse. However, the Furutech really did have an improvement. The tones on the Furutech were just a bit more pure and true sounding. The Furutech had a more “solid” sound to the audio. The Furutech had a bit more punch and meatiness to the bass / midbass. The PADIS, on the other hand, was a bit more loose in the highs, causing the high frequencies to be a bit more messy and rattling. This does cause the PADIS to sound a bit more dry. The PADIS also did not have quite the depth of soundstage when compared to the Furutech.

Now some people might sit down with me and say “I can’t hear a difference” or “your just splitting hairs”. I might be. The difference in sound is VERY subtle, but to me it makes a significant improvement. The differences could also be revealed when listening over a longer period (like 20-30 minutes). The music with the Furutech is just more engaging.

If you have very low resolution or warm equipment, it is possible that you would not hear the difference at all. However, on high resolution stuff, the Furutech could make that equipment “shine” just a little bit better. The PADIS is an excellent buy. For half the cost, you get a whole heck of a lot of performance (almost a no-brainer if you’re still running a stock fuse!). For those who want to bleed out the most amount of performance and resolution – the Furutech is worth the cost.

There are a few possible reasons I can think of that would cause the PADIS/Furutech difference:

- Furutech fuse state a special damping filler inside to reduce electrical resonance. I cannot find an reference to a damping filler for the PADIS fuses.  This could be why the PADIS sounds a bit more loose/dry/harsh in the highs

- Furutech does a Cryogenic treatment process. I cannot find any reference that the PADIS fuses get the same treatement.

- Rhodium plating. It is possible that the Furutech fuses are manufactured with a much thicker rhodium plating. I know Furutech likes a thick rhodium plating on their A/C connectors. The PADIS could have put a thin plating on their generic “PADIS” fuses. This could help explain why my burn-in process was not as painful.

Anyways, those are my findings. Maybe next year I’ll do a BLUE vs. Furutech analysis.

auxinput
Post removed 
Post removed 

Well, I hate to step into the middle of an argument (which unfortunately is becoming far too common here) but the topic posted from the OP is relevant to me at this point in time. I have been considering fuse options for my gear. I am still sitting on the fence, so to speak, as to the validity of fuses making an audible sonic difference, but being as how it is a relatively low cost venture, why not give it a go? In my own instance I have a six figure system, and the outlay of a few hundred dollars to try a few fuses is miniscule in comparison, and may indeed provide an improvement. If it does not, so what? I'm not out a lot of $$

For those that do not agree with the fuse upgrade concept, please refrain from trying to dissuade me.

I have a few questions for the "fuse" community. My virtual system is listed so I won't bother being redundant (and I hate typing) I do not intend to replace through all the components at this point in time. As I said, I'm just testing the water to see if I can hear a difference. Any advise on what components that I should swap out first, and any recommended fuses for them? I am also wondering if there is an easy/safe way to "burn in" prior to installation. Please keep in mind that all of my gear is left powered up 24/7, with the exception of my pre-amp, and phono stage, which are both tube units. I'm not comfortable leaving tube gear running 24/7

Well, one piece of information is that your Bryston 28B amps do not use fuses. They use circuit breakers instead. So you don’t have to worry about those pieces.

As far as testing the waters, I would probably start with your ARC LS 27. It looks like it uses a 3A fuse and it appears (based on the pics) that it uses the large 6.3mm x 32mm size fuse. You don’t have to burn in the fuse on the ARC. You can use an alternate device, such as maybe your MAC CD player? (as long as the physical size is the same). A 3A fuse is somewhat larger that I would put in a solid-state source device, but you could run it in for 10 days before placing it in the ARC. If you liked the results, you can try in your RIAA phono stage and your CD Player or MEN220. For fuse burn-in, you do not have to play audio through the device. You just have to make sure the device is powered on.

For fuse selection, we all have our preferences. I personally do not like silver based fuses (Hi-Fi Tuning, Synergistic SR20) because they have a push in the upper mids and sound artificial to me. They very fast and detailed, though. I think the silver does not have the ultra-high frequency “air” that the Furutech fuses have (I think silver actually rolls off the very high frequencies somewhat, we are talking like above 14khz or so). I have read that ARC is very high resolution and resolving for tube gear, so Hi-Fi Tuning or SR20 may not necessarily be the right choice. It highly depends on personal preference. There are some who like Hi-Fi Tuning better than Furutech.

There was one user who put a Furutech in his tube amp and had improved sonics. When he replaced the Furutech with a BLUE fuse, he did not hear any difference. This could be limited resolution from the tube amp. Others that have upgraded from Furutech to BLUE indicate a good improvement in sonic quality. Others indicate that BLUE may tend to roll-off high frequencies in comparison to BLACK. However, this could also be that BLACK fuses are very sharp in the high frequency detail. I have not tested BLUE or BLACK personally, so I could not be sure. The BLUE/BLACK are definitely a lot more expensive than Furutech, but they have a 30-day return guarantee..

One thought I had was to ask how attached you are to the MEN220. A quote from the following link:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=5072&highlight=MEN220+Review&page=31

I thought it might be of interest to some. I scrutinized the service manual for the men220. The analog inputs are digitized by a single akm ak5394a analog to digital converter(adc). This is a 24bit/192khz delta sigma adc, sn/dr of about 123db. There is a separate adc for the microphone input(akm as well). Then the signal is processed (room correct) in 2 Texas Instruments audio dsp, there is also an altera fpga in there. As a final step, the signal is converted back to analog via 2 wolfson/cirrus logic dacs, one per channel. These are 24bit 192khz dacs with about 120db sn/dr ratio in differential mono mode.

Since it is a digital signal processor (DSP), it is required to convert the analog signal to digital before doing the equalization/crossover. Then it converts back to analog via a DAC chip. You will lose some of the original analogue sonic signature doing this. Have you ever thought about removing the MEN220 from the signal chain and see how it sounds? If you have an environment which absolutely requires room correction, maybe this isn’t a good idea. Just a thought.

@crazyeddy, there is a review of the SR Black fuses over at Audio Bacon and in it they show how to make a fuse break in device that should take the pain out of it. 

I've only tried two different fuses (HiFi Tuning Silver Stars & PADIS) so my experience is limited compared to others. However, I found the greater benefit to come from the source rather than the amp. Both benefited but my SACD player had a bigger level of improvement over my amp, but do try both.

Hopefully, @auxinout and others will chime in with their extensive experience.

All the best,
Nonoise