Own many mid-game speakers or a few end-game speakers.

After I got hooked into this hobby I started to have a small collection of speakers each in the $5k-$10k ranges that have various tonal quality and unique characters from each other. It doesn’t feel one speaker is absolutely better than another and they all have their own personalities, and I quite enjoy these diversity for different type of music I listen to (or hearing the same music expressed very differently which is always fun) and I’m always tempted to add more, for example, I recently get excited about Klipsch and want to try their horns which I do not have had any experience of.

But, these things quickly add up and could become endless pursuit, especially consider speakers differ not just in response curves but also in dynamic, decay, sound stage and details that are all hard to emulate with software. I’m trying to limit the max spending I have on speakers. I’m wondering what’s the perspective of upgrading v.s. buying into more diversity in this game. A few questions I have for you is, say you have $60k in budget on speakers new/used and you have infinite rooms (no amp/source), how would you allocate it (from buying 5000 Homepod Minis to one B&W nautilus) and why?
bwang29
i prefer variety

different speakers and systems are like a different lens on the world of music, some more suited to some music than others - i have different setups in different rooms, in two homes, a main home and a second one i am lucky to have

it takes some work to switch and swap but i enjoy doing it, enjoy the process of dialing in a new setup

i prefer variety in other aspects of life too... food wine cars live music events art

beauty, artistic inspiration, and memorable experiences come in many forms
I'll keep my tannoys made in Scottland UK over any home built abomination. I think they know a thing or two about making speakers, they have been at it pretty much longer than anyone. 
I'm in @dweller 's camp.  I would rather go for sound quality and efficiency first, then work backwards from there.  I'm also a person who loves the best stuff in the industry made by those that have been doing this a long time, but would equally learn how to make it myself and, if possible do just that and get close. 

Obviously, there are things and elements that may be unattainable to make myself (I'm probably not going to make a CD player or a DAC, but I would a turntable....), but there is an added element of satisfaction, I guess, when I know that I've not only put money into it, but time and effort.  

Hearing Miles Davis, Live at the Plugged Nickel through that 45-based tube amp I built (and refined the design of) playing 1.8W through super-efficient open baffle speakers that I also built (and designed the cross-overs for, and built) adds something to the 'enjoyment' for me.  I get that it doesn't for others.  And, clearly, if those elements measure well and sound good then that's really what it's all about, isn't it?
I’m not anywhere as far along the journey as most of you, but I can’t fathom an end-game-be-all-I’ve-already-tried-everything approach to this hobby. As I build up and out and better my system I’m already planning for variety to come. I’ll want at least two wildly different types of reference speakers to switch between and enough different amp choices that I’ll know I can properly drive any other speakers I bring in to try out.  I hope I’m never ready to give up on finding something new.