Own a TW-Acustic Raven One?

Do you own a TW-Acustic Raven One? What are your impressions so far? What did it replace? How does it compare to the VPI tables; the Aries 3, SuperScoutMaster?
stickman451

Showing 12 responses by stickman451

No owners of the Raven One around? How about opinions on this table vs the VPI tables? Heard these tables and able to voice some comparisions?
Ducatirider,

what were the differences you heard between the two? What was it about the Raven that you liked so much better than the Aries?
I understand that TW-Acustic will be at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest; guess that I will get to hear one myself (if I can get through the crowd)!
Lots of good feedback. It seems though, that many feel the TW-Acustic is worth a serious listen. This I will definitely do! My intention in this thread was not to drum-up bad thoughts on VPI tables; I have had a VPI Scout and for the money I believe that it was a very decent table.

What I am lookng for is the next level up; a table that pushes the current state of the art and that is above everything else, emotionally satisfying. That's why I listen to music! Obviously VPI makes very good products or they would have gone out of business long ago.

From the above, it seems many of you that have had personal experience with both VPI, TW-Acustic, and other tables, agree that the TW-Acustic tables are something special and warrant a personal evaluation!
I've had two VPI tables and neither had any problems with build quality or finish. They are solid, well made, and the Aries 3 is a true work of art, beautifully built and a solid 85lbs! No loose arms or anything like that!!!

This whole thread for me is about real differences owners have heard and hear in their systems that contain a new Raven One vs. VPI tables like the Aries and the Super ScoutMaster that they may have owned or actually compared side by side. I am just curious about the differences they have noticed overall. If you feel the Raven One is a step above the VPI tables, then that's fine. This thread is not about bashing VPI...

I have read all over the net that the Raven One and the Raven AC truly sound as good or better than tables costing five or ten times as much. That gets my attention! I don't believe everything that I read, so if you have a Raven One and you know it is truly that good, then let us know!
Stingreen,

I am curious, did you compare the Superscoutmaster to the Aries 3? I think that the Superscoutmaster is a really good table; maybe better really than an Aries 3???
I agree; I am going to the RMAF in October. Maybe Jeffrey will have a VPI on-hand for direct comparision.

I have had both a Scout and an Aries 3; my current feeling is that they are both very good tables, but I think the Aries is a little too 'analytical' for my taste overall. That doesn't make it a bad table!

Bottom line is that Jeffrey at HighWater Sound has told me that he would give me a loaner and if I didn't like it, I could get a complete refund! Now that is real customer service!
Robn,

what did your Raven replace? What arm/cartridge are you using? Over-all, how would you describe the 'sound' you get with your Raven? Also, what is the rest of your rig like?

thanks!
If I go with a Raven at some point, I will most likely use my DV 507MKII arm... have you audtioned that arm? However, it may be a bit too 'neutral' overall. I have heard that the Phantom is a little more lively as compared to the 507?

thanks