Owens Corning 703

I am using this material to build out a music room in the basement - I have glued/tacked 1 inch sheets to my open ceiling between floor joists. My designer has suggested covering the ceiling with cloth to use the whole ceiling area as diffusion.

My question is will this keep fiberglass from floating around since there will be approx 5 inch gap between the fiberglass and cloth? I know most applications for bass traps for example, involve adhesion of the cloth to the fiberglass board...thanks.
pops

Showing 1 response by ultra_fi

Pop,

Your designer is on the right track. However, what you describe results in an absorber, not a diffusor. And, it will be a pretty big one at that. Moreover, it will not likely work at very low frequencies since it is only 1" thick and it is placed against the floor above.

Generally, thicker material is required for bass trapping and it is best to space the material off the room surface.

Further, I'd begin to get a bit concerned about the room becoming too dead sounding....

I don't think you need worry about the fiberglass though.

If you read the Studio description on my website - there's some hints there. Also, feel free to give me a call if you need more help.

Larry