Outlaw RR2150 - Is there a better receiver?

Thinking about a new RR2150 for amp and tuner combined.

Is there anything else near this price point ($700) I should consider...new or used? Would an older (Sony?, Marantz? Rotel?) suit me just as well?

95% of time will only need amp and tuner sections, so other R2150 features simply nice to have...The RR2150 seems to be hard to find used.

Thanks!

plresults
plresults
I like the NAD 725BEE receiver the best at that price point. Basically a 325BEE integrated and tuner in one box. The Rotel receiver is pretty decent too IMO.

The Marantz receiver leaves a bit to be desired IMO. A bit too slow and warm sounding for my ears.

Have you considered adding a tuner to what you have, or is this for a new system?
p.s. The request is driven by my setting up a second listening area in the house. I want a receiver for this area of the house to power a California Audio Labs CL-10 -- and to listen to the occassional weekend afternoon radio program (musical or A Prairie Home Companion-ish). Speakers are going to be a pair of Jamo E700s. The room is a big large -- say 24 by 14 or so with lots of hard surfaces.

My other system is a Rega Mira 3 amp and a CL-10, with Rega 7 (tower) speakers...This is in a smaller room -- 16 by 12. I could reverse the systems based on the room sizes, but really want the convenience of the receiver in the second listening area.
@ Kabarkamian. It's an interesting question. In what ways is the NAD 725BEE, in your opinion, better than the Outlaw receiver? I've listened to the Outlaw driving Maggies and was impressed overall. So what does the NAD at half the wattage (50 vs 100) have in an overall package that the Outlaw lacks?
Kbark: I am trying to keep it simple in terms of boxes, cables and space consumed. This is a second location in the house -- and having the radio/receiver will please the live-in girlfriend...I could swap Rega Mira 3 for reciever, but then I would need a tuner...Besides the NAD, what do you like used? And which Rotel receiver is your preference?
I really don't know, I an seeking opinions as I am a newbie/neophyte.,,pls do tell me what you prefer and why. :-)
the outlaw is a beautiful-looking piece; if aesthetics are a criteria i'd go for it. it also has a usb in, so you can use it with computer source. i also like the much less expensive hk490 (very easy to find used), which has lots of power and digital ins; hks typically have very good tunibg sections. yet another inexpensive option is a high-quality, older avr (b&k, arcam), which'll sound very good in 2ch, have good inboard dacs, etc.
Recently a friend was looking for a receiver, but didn't want all the bells and whistles typically included on most contemporary receivers; he wanted to listen to music, not setup a home theater. He needed a turnkey solution (meaning no separate components), and I recommended the Outlaw to him. My rationale had mainly to do with the quality of construction, the simplicity of use, its domestic construction, its power rating and its uncluttered design. Most receivers today have so much crap in them that something is going to malfunction eventually. In this case, less is more in my opinion.

He is delighted with the unit, and uses it every day driving a distributed speaker system. It has been in service for nearly a year without so much as a hiccup, and it sounds very good, with an excellent tuner. I would recommend the unit to anyone who doesn't need all claptrap, but simply wants to reliably listen to music.
I use a fisher 400 that has been serviced in by family room. Sounds great and has plenty of power for the Rogers LS3/5A speakers I use. I just prefer tube receivers to ss receivers.
Sorry for my somewhat misleading post, guys. looking back at it, I should have said I like the NAD themost out of the stereo receivers I've heard. I haven't heard the Outlaw receiver. I have heard their mono block amps and wasn't much impressed if that's worth anything. They sounded pretty good for home theater, but just didn't do much for me for music. A bit dull and grainy sounding to my ears.

Not sure about model numbers..

The last Marantz stereo receiver I heard was current about 2 years ago. Not sure if it's been updated or not. It sounded overly warm and smooth. Bass was a bit mushy, and the highs were rolled off. The mids were pretty good.

The Rotel receiver was the less expensive one - they had a large one that looked like their AVR and a small one, which was cheaper. I looked on their website and can't find any stereo receivers, so I'm not sure if they have them any more. It sounded pretty good. A tad bright, but no more so than typical Rotel.

The NAD 725BEE is a 325BEE with a tuner and a few other features thrown in. I couldn't hear a difference between the two side by side. Its a bit warm, but punchy and engaging. It's no Mira 3 IMO, but none of these will be.

Denon makes a pretty decent sounding receiver too. There's a few models, and I've heard the about $500 or so one. I think the difference between them is features, but I could be wrong. If your speakers are lower impedence, I'd pass on Denon. As a brand they've got a tendency to struggle with 4 ohm speakers.

Harmon Kardon makes a good receiver too. I haven't heard the latest, but they've traditionally been pretty good. I'd take an NAD over them, but they're another option.

The Onkyo and Yamaha stereo receivers are junk. Stay away.

I don't know your speakers and how loud you're planning on going. That's a big determining factor IMO. My old 320BEE drove my 6 ohm PSB T55s to pretty loud levels without any problems in a room about the size of yours. The 326BEE is an updated version.

Just my observations/opinions.

If you want to keep things very simple and feature packed, have you looked into a Peachtree unit? Not sure about what the various units go for second hand, and which would match up best due to not knowing your speakers' demands. But add a streamer to it and you've got a very convenient system that doesn't need any physical media.
Just to add...

The Peachtree iDecco will allow you to connect an iPod and access it's digital stream.
I've read good things about the Outlaw RR2150 and was curious about it but I have the Outlaw Audio M2200 monoblocks and when I used them as 2 channel music playback I found my experience similar to that of Kbarkamian. I found them a bit dull and grainy along with some harshness sprinkled in. I hope it is different for the RR2150.

I've heard the Harmon Kardon HK3490 receiver and that sounded a bit warm. I'd give that receiver a try. How about going with a vintage Marantz receiver? Something that has recently been gone over by a tech or rebuilt.

Good luck
@all of you: First, thank you. I appreciate the help. Questions:

- grainy -- I somewhat understand intuitively what that might sound like. What is your definition of a receiver sounding "warm". How about definition of other commonly used terms to describe sound?
- some observations: Rotel doesn't appear to make or have made any time recently a two channel receiver. Which old Marantz or other (Stereotech? Pioneer? HK?) would suit me?
- I have not been able to find a link to an HK 490 or 3490 that peeps keep referring to?
- does anyone know of a source for used Outlaw equipment besides this site or the Outlaw site ... as neither are turning up anything as "used" Thanks if you know of such a site...
you can't beat the price and performance, I own one. as a plus it has a usb input so you can connect direct to your computer and play your music files. the dac is ok...big surprise, just get a decent usb cable like a Kimber.
I recently bought a HK 3490 (now running $300 on newegg). Its very nice but i have no basis for comparison really (except an older onkyo 505 which is not a comparison). Sometimes I wonder if i am missing out on something by not having tried a NAD or an outlaw stereo receiver.

Of course one good thing about the 3490 is that it has a couple of digital inputs.

I am powering a pair of VA Grand Bachs.
the original question has appeared numerous times, namely, asking about the "best" in category of components.

what is there about the human psyche that continues to ask a philosophical or rhetorical question, over and over again.

it obviously has no definitive answer.
Hi Mrtennis

The reason why I think a lot of these type of questions repeat is that there are some members that will not look in the archives first for an answer even if the search function is pretty easy. Other forums it is difficult to find an older thread relating to the topic you want. Also than revive a thread some members will just post and post over and over the same question. Ahem Junglern!

Anyway back to the topic. I just checked out Newegg and the HK3490 is no longer there for $299. I did find the HK 3390 for $229 with free shipping. Less power than the Outlaw RR2150 and the HK 3490 but maybe just as good with the right speaker?
I am not sure if you searched correctly on newegg? I just searched again. And sure enough it is there. You have to add it to the cart to get that price.
Actually jr.com has it too at that price.
I am not sure if you searched correctly on newegg? I just searched again. And sure enough it is there. You have to add it to the cart to get that price.
Actually jr.com has it too at that price.
Hi Branon

I stand corrected. You are right. I re-did the search on NewEgg and the HK3490 came up. Decisions. Decisions. At teh reduced price the HK3490 is hard to resist for me.

Thanks
I have all Outlaw equipment. 990 preamp and 7125 amp in the living room, and the Retro Receiver in my den. I choose Outlaw due to the quality of the phono preamp, FM tuner specs and the built in USB. Price is no object for us, yet Outlaw is inexpensive, and good gear. Is it perfect, no - but I've heard expensive gear sound really no better at the high end shops.

All sound great, easy to use and having the built in USB for my two computers with our extensive library in lossless is very convienient.

I am an owner of a 2150, for the last 15 years. I have matched the following speakers with it : advents, AR 90, mission, ESL Martin Logans, Klipsch RF 35, monitor audio silver RS5,  last and a beautiful match my LRS magies. Airie sound on the slight and pleasant warm side, vocal slightly forward with vocals right there with you! ie Leanard Cohen .... happens to the heart. With the LRS's placement was more critical 5 ft from wall 6ft.apart and 8 ft distance to listening in my 20 x 14 room has finally let me experience intro to audiophile sound.