Outlaw 990 vs B & K Reference 50

Has anyone compared / auditioned these two? I'm really curious ahout the Outlaw. For $1099 it seems like such a great bargain. The Reference 50 is about $2500? I've got a B&K ST1430 Series 2 amp and I'm happy with the musicality of it and would try another B & K product. Budget-wise I prefer not to break the bank on the B&K, but I want to know what I'd be giving up by buying the Outlaw. Speakers are Energy Veritas 2.4, 2.o, and 2.1.

Also - are there any new versions near release / new technical leaps forward that would prompt a delay in purchasing either of these products.

Thanks for your replies.
zerog

Showing 1 response by cdwallace

I think the easiest and most effective way for you to decide is to audition. Advice from Goners and tech papers are great but nothing beats a good test drive. Of course, if budget is the underlying issue here, then go with what works for your budget.

Have you considered a used Ref50? That may be more around the area you're working with.

Personally, I like the B&K myself. Didn't care for the Outlaw setup I heard at a local shop (990 w/Krell bookshelfs). I think the B&K just has a better performance for HT applications (Ref 50 w/active Blue Sky Pro's). Thats just my personally preference; take it for what its worth.

Check for a used Ref50 before you make the purchase of the 990, IMO.

Happy Listening