Outlaw 950 Pre-Pro

Category: Preamps

First off, I am a compulsive upgrader, and have a terminal case of the "grass is greener" syndrome.

Due to this malady, I have owned the following pre/pros over the years (all paired with either Sherbourn 5/1500A or EAD Powermaster 1000):

Lexicon DC-1 (good sound, flawless operation)
Aragon Soundstage (terrific sound, one of the best)
Acurus ACT-3 (best under $1000 until Outlaw 950)
EAD Encore (great on music, lacks HT dynamics, buggy)
EAD Ovation Plus (superb on music, weak HT dynamics)
Sunfire TGII (Great dynamics, terrific music performance. All in all, the best one of the bunch. Only reason sold is needed money more than the unit.)
Bryston SP-1 (deathly quiet, ruthlessly dynamic, painfully exposing on music)
Anthem AVM20: (outstanding HT, uninvolving music)

A recent downturn in personal fortune had me sell all my gear and settle down with a receiver (I chose the Denon 4800) for HT and my Jolida 202A integrated tube amp for music (breathtaking on female vocals and Jazz).

Good lord, the Denon was a big step down. As receivers go, a fine unit, but my ears were used to some very pretty sounds by now.

I couldn't settle for the Denon, but didn't really have the cash to get back into separates. Then again, thanks to Outlaw, I did.

I grabbed a 950/755 combo from Outlaw's site (thanks to the miracle of Mastercard) and I was back in business.

Here's what I found:

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU CAN NOW GET FOR $899!

I thought I'd use this set-up until my cash flow improved, but now that it has fattened up, I feel no need to step back up to the supposed high-end stuff. The Outlaw 950 has terrific dynamic range, flawless operation, and PLENTY of features for the price.

All the latest formats and setup choices are there. I'm hooked on DPL-II conversion for TV and any other mono or stereo source, and should I choose to step up to 7.1, the Outlaw is ready.

It even sounds pretty good with music. (Again, with the Jolida, not an issue for me, but nice nonetheless.)

It's an outstanding value, and IMHO, far more than most people need to get EVERYTHING the creators of the source intended for you to hear. Just make sure to pair it with a capable amp, and you'll be nothing less than thrilled.

Strengths:
Crisp, dynamic sound in all formats. 7.1 capable, every current sound format represented. STUNNING value.

Weaknesses:
Remote ergonomics a little funky. Not the prettiest thing in the world.
skraggle

Showing 1 response by larryb

I also own an Outlaw 950. Personally I really like the sound in HT. For 2 channel, it's OK IF you leave the sub on. But I couldn't honestly say its any better than OK.

That's why I'm looking for a used preamp with HT bypass to mate with it for 2 channel. If I can pick one up for around $800, then for $1600 I'll have a system that has better 2 channel sound than any pre/pro for under $3K. And the sound for HT will not lag far behind.

I've never tried the tuner, and the 950 does have analog pass through. I've heard complaints about bass management, but its always worked well for me.