OUCH My Dynaudio's have crashed....

After years of building and tweaking my system to my own sonic orgasmatron, my speakers have gone kablooey. The Dynaudio 2.8's are perfect for my room size, my and my wife's ears, and a beautiful match for all my gear. It seems the crossovers or the voice coils got damaged in a series of accidental out of sequence turning off/on of my tube pre and ss amp....dc voltage can do some serious damage.

My system is pretty dialed in to our liking at this point, so I am send them in to Dynaudio USA for a once over and repair estimate, but my fear is peaking the expense of their repair will be way beyond their worth....What should I think of replacing them with?!

My system is detailed here on a-gon:
http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs_user.pl?vdone&1055589103&viewmine&publ

My room is an untreated 14x16 ft. space with 9 foot ceilings in a turn of the century (last century!) victorian. I listen to alernative rock and alt country, jazz, acoustic, classic rock, reggae, etc. no metal, electronica, classical. (Just saw Neko Case at the Egg in Albany and am convinced she was abducted by aliens and infused with a voice to hypnotize earthlings... but i digress...)

The speakers need to be comfortable pretty close to the back wall...2 feet or so. The Dynaudio 2.8's are a closed box passive woofer system....pretty nice for that application..

Maybe some Special 25's and a sub? I love the sound and look of Sonus, but I fear they're not so great match with my gear...and they need to be out in the room. Harbeth? Man oh man. Any suggestions are appreciated. And, any place in the NY/CT/MA area to listen to suggestion would also be great. About 5k on the used market is my absolute limit for expense...

Thanks for you help!
budburma
Ariel 7B -- I have the 9's but they like more room from the back wall.

Linn's like the back wall and the newer ones rock pretty hard. I have Ninkas in a 2d system and they are pretty cool. The newer model is even better.

I wouldn't get Sonus speakers in your situation. The best I've heard them is when they are way out in the room.

If you want to be shocked and keep life cheap, there's a pair of Soliloquy floorstanders somewhere in upstate NY. I had some early Soliloquy speakers and they kick butt in every possible respect. I think the seller was asking $700 because they are a bit marked up. Buy these and save money until you can buy the new speakers you want.

Best,

Rich
Wow, that's too bad, I had a pair of 2.8's a long time ago and had to replace the tweeters. I think that was close to a grand. Good luck, when I dealt with Mike he was a pretty nice guy.
The reviewers are saying that the C1's are better than the Special 25's and you don't need a sub. BUT they are $6000.00! Have you listened to a pair of Thiel 2.4's? They sound great, but I don't know about their sweet spot and two listeners.