OTL Tube Amp for Maggie 3.6?

I've heard OTL needs an impedance curve that never drops below 4, and flat is better. I think Magnepan 3.6s drop here and there below 4, and certainly aren't flat.

So, would OTL not work?

I think from what I've read it wouldn't matter, but would getting one with lots of power make a difference (i.e., Transcendent The Beast) or is that irrelevant?
lightminer

Showing 1 response by swo2601

Glad to see someone going down this road. I ran 3.6's with my VZN 160's. I have very fond memories of it. I had the OTL's driving them full range and even bi-amped them with various amps for just the bass panel, including the H2O ice audio class d amp. My recollection is that the biamping of the 3.6's in this manner was overkill for that speaker. I much preferred running the 3.6 at full range and augmenting that set up with a sub. As a Maggie enthusiast, I also augmented the 3.6 with Tympani bass panels (single pair and double)driven with the H2O. That was a good system for a while. I always ran the OTL's with the zeros. I don't think I ever turned the volume past 12 o'clock. OTL and ribbons are a glorious sound. But for the lack of imaging, I'd still have that system.