Other hobbies with these economics?

Audio seems to have an interesting set of economics for the consumer. Items depreciate substantially the minute they "drive off the lot", but remain just as "valuable" for many, many years in most cases. With proper care, these components retain basically 100% of their performance and usefulness, even with daily use. Compared to autos, computers, boats, etc., a well-cared-for used audio component is just as valuable, but much cheaper, than a new copy of the same thing.

Are there other hobbies where this relationship holds up?

kthomas

Showing 1 response by ellery911

Tons...my folks in Los Angeles used to drag me as a child to Southeby's(sp?) and other auction houses on weekends while they bought up all the antique treasures that LA's wealthy were dumping off during the recession. Beautiful antique persian rugs, antique furniture such as kittinger & berkey & gaye, 15th century altar frontals, 18th & 19th century china, etc etc. My mother is definitely OCD and researched everything to death. My folks 5000sf house is packed back to back in just about every room with these "treasures" and I'm sure that just about all of them have appreciated even more than the property itself. I myself, am a minimalist...I always said that I would be happy living in a museum gallery with a couch & a stereo. To me, it's all a bunch of stuff that I am afraid of having to tote through life with me.