Ortofon RS-309D opinions

A friend of mine offered me this arm for my TW Acoustic Raven One , I eventually 'll use it with the BenzLP

What do you think about this arm and the Benz combo

Thank in advance for opinions/suggestions

Curio
128x128curio

Showing 4 responses by rauliruegas

Dear Curio: I never try it in my system but I now very well Ortofon and its build quality and know how on the tonearm/cartridge subject.

I don't see any single issue why not buy it and matched with your Benz LP ( in any TT, including your Raven. ). This Ortofon tonearm has the advantage that it is a removable headshell design and this permit that you can match ( trhough different headshells. ) in precise way your cartridge or any other in the future.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Dear Curio: The Jelco is a good tonearm too ( Jelco build/design tonearms for other companies:OEM. ) but the Ortofon have an additional advantage: it is a dunamically balanced design and this permit to run a cartridge in both ways with a satic or dinamyc balanced tonearm mechanism.

I own the DP6 but the standard one not the 12", it is a good unipivot tonearm but for a unipivot I'm to " reserved " about 12" design.

There is no real advantage between 12" and 9-10" tonearms each design with the right matched cartridge can give you what you are looking for.

I own your Benz LP and I prefer the Ortofon or Jelco than the Morch for that cartridge.

Btw, this one ( I own it. ) is a very good choice too:

http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/Vinyl+Accessories/product/Audio-Technica_AT-1503_IIIa_Transcription_Universal_Tone_Arm.html?osCsid=97899892360e946fccea571e0437930c

Raul.
Dear Curio: Yes the Ikeda is very good too and an option for you.

Ldorio is right the bearing on the Ortofon is a little better than the one on Jelco but is dificult to say its performance differences with your cartridge if you don't have both bis a bis to compare.

The Ortofon and the AT IMHO are " save " choices.

About the AT, there is an item ( from Micro Seiki ) to mount the arm rest in any TT ( including the Raven. ), maybe you can ask about with the tonearm seller. Anyway if you decide for the AT I can send you a picture on the item because if you can't find it some one can build for you, is very simple.

The VTA on the fly that comes in the Ortofon design ( Analog_soul point out. ) is an advantage because no one of the other tonearms name it here have it.

Raul.
Dear Curio: I wish to have the 309D on hand for I can be precise on that tonearm choice.

Both tonearms are really good but there are at least tree " factors " that like me on the Ortofon over the Ikeda: VTA on the fly, counterweight at the stylus cartridge level for better cartridge tracking and the Ortofon support/knowledge/skills.

Raul.